1949 'the Last Concertina Repairer' ?

I have been amassing a large numb er of cartoons, photographs etc on the concertina, particularly in Australia.

I will be adding these to my Australian Folklore Unit website in a few weeks and I will advise Concertina Net readers when available (I am currently redesigning and upgrading my elephant of a site...)

I thought readers might like this little story on the last of the concertina tuners. never trust the Murdoch press!

Cairns Post 1949.pdf

Edited by Warren Fahey

Hi Roger

Good subject - might I suggest you start a thread specifically for postcards & concertinas.

I believe various members have postcards featuring concertinas - maybe we could post them in that thread.

Steve

Edited by SteveS

>I'm presuming that you've checked out eBay?

At the time I posted, I hadn't, but I made it my next job, and I see that there are indeed concertina cards

out there. I usually look for art shipping cards, now I have another search to do - life's never easy is it...

Thanks for your input.

Roger

Hi Roger

I'm presuming that you've checked out eBay? If not, have a look at these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_kw=concertina+postcard

Cheers, John

Alas - the word "concertina" has been hijacked again - to mean fan-fold postcard collections.

Which leads in turn to the concertina fish: http://www.fishbase.se/summary/7692

Wonder what they sound like?

Concertina Fish… (a light-hearted look!)

"Found inshore, on sand or mud bottoms, reefs, estuaries and harbors. Maximum depth for this species is less than 50 m. Feeds on benthic invertebrates and semi-quavers (Ref. 5213). Breeds close inshore during spring (Ref. 5324). Flesh edible musical (when squeezed), but not esteemed (Ref. 12484)." Ha ha ha… you would think that they would be 'esteemed' with all those scales… (sorry, I couldn't help myself!)...

Yes, the folding bellows inspired inventions can be found everywhere… although sort of off-topic, there are cards (as of the folding variety), barbed wire, houses, buses, tubing, straws, framework, awnings, etc. etc. to name but a few… I'm presuming that the humble bellows, or something resembling bellows, would have to be the Daddy of them all… Romans, ancient Egypt, middle ages blacksmiths, all used variations of folding bellows (or blast-bags to use the old English name!)) to help raise the rate of combustion and heat output in furnaces… I rather like the name 'Blast-Bag'...

Edited by HansiRowe

>might I suggest you start a thread specifically for postcards & concertinas.

It's a thought, innit? Include other concertina-related stuff, and call it 'Concertinabilia'?

When I actually have some concertina-related artefact(s), I'll revisit this one...

Roger

"When I actually have some concertina-related artefact(s), I'll revisit this one…"

Actually Roger, I was searching under the simple heading 'Concertinas' on eBay.UK last night and found quite a few pictures and postcards scattered throughout...

post-11342-0-40418200-1414206146_thumb.jpg

Actually Roger, I was searching under the simple heading 'Concertinas' on eBay.UK last night and found quite a few pictures and postcards scattered throughout...

Yes, I found a few myself when I did a search later. When I get time, I will follow this one up.

Roger