38B Jefferries Anglo. At Auction, Bourne Lincs. Uk.

Anglogeezer

Hammer price including buyers commission adds up to a total price of 4,400 pounds or about 5,550 euro.

The one listed in the add has an asking price of 6,000 euro. A difference of a little under 10 %.

Sure, but there are psychological factors playing into the auction Jeffries selling as it did:

1, people tend not to factor in commissions, taxes, and other fees when doing quick mental math. They're aware of these add-ons, but when comparing prices there's a tendency to forget about them.

2, once a person places a bid in an auction at a low amount, they feel some level of attachment and commitment and that leads them to keep bidding. "Well, I was willing to pay 2000 euro, so of course I'm willing to pay 2100 euro, it's only another hundred! ... 2300! ... 2500! ... ... ..."

3, when a person sees others value something they want, they tend to value it more highly themselves. "I can't lose this now, I'm so close to having it! It's worth another 500 euro!"

With an item sitting on a shelf (or in an advertisement) with a fixed price tag, none of these factors is in play.

Buyers premium varies but at Golding Mawer, it's 17.5% with VAT payable on top so the total payable to the auctioneer in this case is £4,477 (assuming that the buyer collects and doesn't have to pay for packing and delivery as well).

I have heard of a 30 key Jeffries changing hands for over £7,500 this year but that was for an exceptional instrument with virtually untouched reeds, fully restored and with brand new bellows

Alex West

David

I think the 'C.' is there - it's just very faint. I think in the location the letter is, the metal fretwork has been slightly polished by the player's finger and the light has reflected off it in the photo taken by the auction house

Alex West

Maybe there is no need for concern here BUT keep in mind that at one time in England, it was common for unscrupulous individuals to try to rebrand concertinas so they would be mistaken for Jeffries concertinas. As the story goes, pawnbrokers would only take Jeffries concertinas, so there was one incentive to change the apparent identity of an instrument. And a number of instruments look like Jeffries so it can be hard to otherwise distinguish imposters from the real thing if the imposter looks like a Jeffries AND appears to have a Jeffries stamp. For these reasons, any apparent discrepancy from the "C Jeffries Maker" should immediately raise a red flag. AFAIK there are no genuine Jeffries concertinas with either "Jeffries" misspelled or the "C" missing, so buyer be very wary if such an error is present!!

Ross Schlabach

As far as being completely refurbished, it matters who does the work.

There are well meaning individuals out there who's work is not worthy.

A concertina can be in fact damaged, or ruined by the work of someone less than

a master craftsman.

Be very careful about refirbishment as you may pay twice.

Ask me how I know.