Is 'concertina' So Difficult To Say?

I heard concertina today pronounced as concerntina.

I've even heard constantina.

My favourite is constant screamer (and I believe this has been touched on before many years ago).

People also say jewellary, and reallitor.

My experience suggests that half the folks

out there are below average.( I maybe one of them.)

Half of anything will be below the average. <_< :)

How's about the australian expression " Conca" or the very english "Leather Ferret".

Edited by Geoff Wooff

If we are being picky about words then half of anything will be below the median, not the average. The average of (1, 2, 3, 4, 100) is 55, but the median is 3.

average=22 according to my arithmetic (total 110 divided by 5) :-)

How's about the australian expression " Conca" or the very english "Leather Ferret".

I'm sure Maki was just making a little joke there Geoff but thanks for the clarification. Actually I'd say most Aussies are below average, the way we voted in the last election points to that. But we're not all that "uncoof". I may say "conca" but I spell it "concer" thankyou very much.

If we are being picky about words then half of anything will be below the median, not the average. The average of (1, 2, 3, 4, 100) is 55, but the median is 3.

average=22 according to my arithmetic (total 110 divided by 5) :-)

Ooops!

I'm sure Maki was just making a little joke there Geoff but thanks for the clarification. Actually I'd say most Aussies are below average, the way we voted in the last election points to that. But we're not all that "uncoof". I may say "conca" but I spell it "concer" thankyou very much.

Well Steve, I was trying to be funny too but Maki's joke was more subtle I guess.

Sorry "Concer" it should have been indeed! :unsure:

Well Steve, I was trying to be funny too but Maki's joke was more subtle I guess.

Sorry "Concer" it should have been indeed! :unsure:

Hang on a second - you have to allow for regional variation. It might be the very posh "concer" down in Bega Shire, but up here in the neighbouring Eurobodalla Shire, it's defintely "conca".

Of course, I've also been in Australia longer than Steve has.....

Nobody has yet put forward a liking for 'tina. Or is it 'teena?

Terry

Until my offspring had the grace to leave home it was mostly referred to ( in old Australian of course) as "that thing", as in "Dad, I just wanted to check you knew if you stopped moving your hands in and out that thing would not make that awful noise?"

I had a phone call the other day from a man who wanted to talk about his Grandad's "squeezle box". That was a new one to me!

Actually, I rather like it. Squeezle more or less rhymes with weasel, which is a kind of ferret (desparately trying to establish/invent a derivation...)

And I'm often asked about the "concetmatina".... (Oh, the curse of the extra syllabubble, but then I used to live in Devon, near Exeketer).