A Dance Tune And A Song

Jim Besser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m4fFy1zgHw

My band Frog Hammer at last week's dance. It was a night of contras, but we snuck in this lively ceilidh tune with a song tacked on. With a little James Bond thrown in for good measure. The jig is Jiggery Pokerwork, by the great English player John Spiers. It's a set his band Bellowhead does.

Edited by Jim Besser

Wow, what a treat, Jim! Loved the moment when the camera is swinging to all these dancers! And even throwing in a true Sea Shanty! Thanks for posting, always loved your Frog Hammer stuff, but this is in fact special...

Best wishes - Wolf

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Wow, what a treat, Jim! Loved the moment when the camera is swinging to all these dancers! And even throwing in a true Sea Shanty! Thanks for posting, always loved your Frog Hammer stuff, but this is in fact special...

Best wishes - Wolf

Thanks. We had a great time, even though our 'zouk player was sick.

Great stuff! But I'm really confused by Glyn's UK fanaticism there at the end -- I thought he was Welsh!

Part Welsh, I think.

He had a great time with that flag, even tho he was sick and had to leave at the break.

Great stuff! But I'm really confused by Glyn's UK fanaticism there at the end -- I thought he was Welsh!

Part Welsh, I think.

He had a great time with that flag, even tho he was sick and had to leave at the break.

Does Glyn ever not have a great time? :) Well, aside from when he's sick. :(

Still, someone's got to get him a Welsh dragon for next time!

Maybe he was celebrating the outcome of the Scotland referendum... B)

Given the date of the gig, I wondered ... especially as that direction of celebration would express the polar opposite of the sentiments of every Welsh person I know. Not that my friends speak for the entirity of Wales by any stretch (they're hardly a random sample of the Welsh population!), but there is something of a solidarity among the eight Celtic nations which is what made this more surprising to me.

Still, it's a contra dance with a rockin' rollickin' awesome ceili band in America, singing a sea shanty ... and there's nothing wrong with being over-the-top British, especially in that context at that moment! And it's not like the Welsh have a long-established reputation for being one of the greatest sea-faring nations, after all :P Glyn did a fine thing, and was an even more amazing musician for pulling off that performance while sick as a dog.

And lest this thread get totally derailed by my vexilogical vexation, Frog Hammer as a whole gave an amazing performance, our squeezer Jim among them :) I look forward to seeing you guys in-person someday (and to another party in a snug somewhere like some of us had in June!).

Maybe he was celebrating the outcome of the Scotland referendum... B)

Given the date of the gig, I wondered ... especially as that direction of celebration would express the polar opposite of the sentiments of every Welsh person I know. Not that my friends speak for the entirity of Wales by any stretch (they're hardly a random sample of the Welsh population!), but there is something of a solidarity among the eight Celtic nations which is what made this more surprising to me.

Still, it's a contra dance with a rockin' rollickin' awesome ceili band in America, singing a sea shanty ... and there's nothing wrong with being over-the-top British, especially in that context at that moment! And it's not like the Welsh have a long-established reputation for being one of the greatest sea-faring nations, after all :P Glyn did a fine thing, and was an even more amazing musician for pulling off that performance while sick as a dog.

And lest this thread get totally derailed by my vexilogical vexation, Frog Hammer as a whole gave an amazing performance, our squeezer Jim among them :) I look forward to seeing you guys in-person someday (and to another party in a snug somewhere like some of us had in June!).

Hope you can get to one of our gigs! I want FH to get up to NEFFA, but it can't be in 2015 - my daughter's getting married that weekend.