I Don't Get It

Dan Stener

Hello All,

Perhaps I'm just "old school," but I find the practice of listing an instrument on eBay and then listing a "pointer" to eBay here after the instrument has had little or no activity there most distasteful. And it's increasing in frequency.

No other classified site that I frequent permits this. The most definitive about it is the Mandolin Cafe Classifieds. Absolutely NO referrals to eBay there.

I do understand the "exposure to the broader market" concept. And if that's what one wants as a buyer, that's all well and good. But when the the "broader market" doesn't show the interest the seller hopes for, then it's back here to the "old faithful" to "drum-up" some business.

Paul and Ken, I encourage you to consider eliminating these referrals. This is a free site and it seems that if individuals think that it is useful to promote the sale of their instruments both here and on eBay, the listing and selling fee that they are paying to eBay should not be subsidized by this site. Besides, they're annoying.

If people want to list both places at the same time, that's their business. I'm not suggesting any "restraint of trade." But to direct potential buyers to eBay from this site and to use this site as some sort of "credibility certificate" is inappropriate in my opinion. Soon enough, the fraudulent sellers on eBay will attempt to do the same.

To those I may offend, my apology. But I do believe this practice is simply disrespectful to this site and irresponsible on the part of the sellers to use it for their own gain while paying a fee to eBay and nothing to support this site.

Enough of my soapbox.

Be Well,

Dan

Edited for typing error

Edited by Dan Stener

Dan,

I understand your arguments, but to my opinion you are contradicting yourself:

Paul and Ken, I encourage you to consider eliminating these referrals. This is a free site ...

Just before saying that it's a free site, you ask Paul and Ken for restrictions to this freedom.

I have my own opion about people that register as a C.Net member just for the purpose to expose their e-Bay stuff. On the other hand: referring from C.Net to e-Bay (by serious C.Netters) also has had it's positive effects (discovering scams etc.).

So I sugest to leave it as it is. Does'nt have every healthy bear some parasites in his fur? ;)

Sorry Dan, I don't see your problem.

Surely all genuine players welcome the maximum information regarding any concertinas that may be available? This excellent forum is an ideal place to let all us fanatics know what is out there! My post was in the 'Buy and Sell' section - it seems rather strange to be offended by seeing details of 'tinas listed here for sale!

There has already been much interest in my 'tina (9 bids, 73 watchers and one player who came to inspect it). I'm simply making every effort to ensure that everyone who has a genuine interest in owning the Anglo to play has a chance to buy it.

I'm not a dealer, so am not up to date with current values. I make my living from music, without the security of a '9 to 5' job so am not in a position to throw money away. eBay is a chance for me to find the current fair market value; posting the notice on this site also increases the chance that the instrument will go to a genuine player, rather than a collector.

? How is the posting on this site acting as a "credibility certificate"? Surely anyone with a modicum of experience regarding eCommerce will make their own enquiries and judgement before buying? We probably all know that Canadian lottery wins, and unclaimed sums in Nigerian bank accounts are to be avoided, is it not patronising to suggest that forum members should be protected from 'scams' by banning all such posts? We're all big girls and boys Dan, please don't suggest censorship be imposed on us!

Regarding paying a fee to this site, it has always been my intention to make a donation should the eventual winner come from here. To assume that I was not going to is, frankly, insulting - I rely on my reputation in running my business - It's not a hobby for me.

That's the bit from my soapbox. I believe in free access of all information, and in paying my debts.

Luv and kisses

Paul Hurst

Hello All,

Henk and Paul,

Thanks for your comments and perspectives.

Please allow me to clarify what may appear to be contracdictory remarks. Posting for sale here is one matter. Referring/linking to eBay is quite another. It is the latter to which I object, not the former. Multiple listings are one matter. Cross-marketing is another. Freedom of access is one matter. Free marketing is yet another.

As for support of this site, my comments were not specifically directed at any individual(s) - especially Paul, whom I do not know.

However, it is well documented on this site that few actually make contributions or observe Paul's recommendations regarding financial support when one benefits from selling through this site. There are even periodic, timely, and thoughtfully-placed reminders that appear here and there. My comments regarding this matter are general - and not personal - in any way.

Be Well,

Dan

edited for typos

Edited by Dan Stener

I welcome these "pointers".....they are invariably respectful,informative etc.If they were posted on the the General Concertina Discussion I would suggest they were more appropriately posted here.I can't see why they would offend .....if you're not looking to buy, you won't see them; if you are , they are always genuine and usually good quality concertinas.

A point to wonder is whether those who DO successfully sell their instrument on eBay also contribute to this site as well as paying their eBay fee. Robin