Tune Of The Month For October, 2014: Crested Hens

Jim Besser

Here's my effort, warts 'n' all. Very much a work in progress.

It's an interesting tune rhythmically as the A part feels to me to be largely 2 in a bar whereas the B is definitely 3 in a bar. That's how I've played it, anyway.

I played it in the original key of D-dorian as I felt it sounded better than in E-dorian.

https://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff/les-poules-huppees

I'm wondering about the note choice if one were to use a single drone throughout the tune. From what I can tell, the hurdy gurdy drone can be tuned, but will be static for any given tune. I'm not sure what note would typically be used by a gurdy player. E sounds pretty good, but doesn't seem to match the gurdy YouTube posted earlier. I'm not at all stuck on getting it "right," but wold like to know if there is some norm to be aware of. Thanks

I'm wondering about the note choice if one were to use a single drone throughout the tune. From what I can tell, the hurdy gurdy drone can be tuned, but will be static for any given tune. I'm not sure what note would typically be used by a gurdy player. E sounds pretty good, but doesn't seem to match the gurdy YouTube posted earlier. I'm not at all stuck on getting it "right," but wold like to know if there is some norm to be aware of. Thanks

Well the Hurdy Gurdy player is using a D drone and starts the piece in Dminor, but then that is the key his instrument is tuned in. The drone does cause some tension in the second part, which is perhaps intentional and more agreable with an instrument that is not in Equal Temperament , although his sounds to be closer to that than I would like.

Maybe an E drone would be best for the Eminor version, though a B drone is also sweet most of the time . Why not vary the drone?

Geoff,

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe I'll try playing with the E and B drone for the Em version. I don't really have a reason for not varying the drone. I'm still trying to get my head around what to do with the tune - slow vs. fast and whether to go with straight melody or some attempt at harmony.

Geoff,

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe I'll try playing with the E and B drone for the Em version. I don't really have a reason for not varying the drone. I'm still trying to get my head around what to do with the tune - slow vs. fast and whether to go with straight melody or some attempt at harmony.

Usually with drones it's either the tonic or tonic and fifth sometimes with the tonic doubled at the octave. E and B for the Em version should be fine. The point of a drone is it continually creates and releases harmonic tension. I considered adding a drone when I did the tune. I have a shruti box which allows me to add a constant drone throughout something that's not usually possible with an anglo though those with more than 30 buttons may be able to achieve it. I think drones work particularly well with modal melodies.

I've uploaded a new version of mine with an added drone. I played it in Dm so I've added an A-D drone from my shruti box.

Edited by Tootler

Here's mine:

Les Poules Huppées

Nicely done. Good chording in the B part. In my own playing of this tune I still haven't worked out chords to my satisfaction. Maybe a limitation of playing it on Anglo.

Yes! I, too, kept trying to add chords but they alway sounded odd or abrupt or otherwise unsatisfactory. Eventually recorded this https://soundcloud.com/mildredestelle/les-poulles-houpp-es-1 thinking I'd accompany myself 'later' on another garage band track. But later never came and the month is nearly over, so here 'tis, as is.