For Sale: Wheatstone C/g 40 Anglo 1954

carlfromsouthafrica

Hi Ian,

Thanks for showing interest. The concertina belonged to my late father. I do not know how to play this instrument myself, so cannot comment on the benefits or difficulty level of a 40 key over a 30 key concertina. Maybe you could post this question elsewhere in the forum. I am also not sure if the reeds are steel or brass, but will try to find out. I am not really wanting to open the instrument to check. All I know is that it was manufactured in 1954, because I have checked the serial number against the production journals. Not sure if brass or steel was the preferred metal used for the flutes by Wheatstone during this era. How can I further assist you?

Not sure if brass or steel was the preferred metal used for the flutes by Wheatstone during this era.

I'd guess it can be read from the ledgers, I seem to recall BR for the exceptional use of brass reeds... Other members will know, and posting the serial number would help in an event.

Besides, the reed shoes might rather be made of aluminium in this era...

Gents,

please see the attached chart. It will be seen that the notes of the 'core' buttons (shown within the broken lines) are common to both 30 & 40 button models. The extra buttons, therefore, should not cause a problem and may be found of benefit, provide more choice of reversals, less crossing over and extending the range to C7.

From the number 56987 (visible in pictures provided), the ledger entry makes no suggestion of the use of brass reed tongues so we may assume that these are steel as per Wheatstone's standard specification. It is very likely that 'Dural' reed frames are present but this should not affect the sound etc.

Geoffrey

For this I would have to find somebody that can play the concertina or do you mean a recording of each individual note to test that it works?

Kindly note that I do not play the concertina myself. It used to belong to my father who left it in his will to my son, who is very musical, but has now interest in learning the concertina. Please clarify your request.

• 2 weeks later...

Skype is up and running. You can find me by my username CarlfromSouthAfrica or simply search for Carl Stoltsz in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. I will be the only one, Or you could send me your info to add you as a contact. I searched and could only find an Ian Martyn in Los Angelis, CA nothing for Santa Barbara. Let me know when your up and awake.