Case For 3 Anglos

I am thinking of building a case to house my three Anglo Concertinas .Should I buy a tool Box and convert it or may be make one out of plywood.Any sggestions , pictures , materials Size , ect

Three concertinas in a single case could be tricky if you ever expect to travel by plane. Not impossible, but building your own custom case may be the only way to make sure you have something that will meet the airline carry on size restrictions. All three side by side isn't likely to fit; semi-stacked is likely the only way. Or maybe carry them on in a soft bag, with your hard case(s) in a checked bag. I've done that.

Making cases using Plywood is ideal and, I think, better than converting something else, though I really like the Camera Rucksack suggested recently by Jody Kruskal.

I've made cases for concertinas:

A single case made from 3/16" Ply.... with the intention of covering it with leather but it is perfectly strong enough with little braces in the corners.

More recently I made a double case for my small English and Hayden Duet . For this I used 3/8" Ply because I made the length exactly the correct size for use as a seat for playing when turned on end.

Posting pictures here is a pain but send me a PM with your email and I'll send a couple of pictures if you wish.

Posting pictures here is a pain but send me a PM with your email and I'll send a couple of pictures if you wish.

Mr Wooff! It really isn't that much hassle.

After you have formatted your pics to a reasonable size (5-600 pixels along the long side will usually do it) you can either use the forum's attachment function or upload them to an external site like photobucket (which I use), flickr or one of those and insert the pic into your post by placing the location between image tags which can be done using the menu over the posting window, typing them in full or by using a browser addition like BBcodeXtra (in Firefox).

Mr Wooff! It really isn't that much hassle.

After you have formatted your pics to a reasonable size (5-600 pixels along the long side will usually do it) you can either use the forum's attachment function or upload them to an external site like photobucket (which I use), flickr or one of those and insert the pic into your post by placing the location between image tags which can be done using the menu over the posting window, typing them in full or by using a browser addition like BBcodeXtra (in Firefox).

Yes ,well, thanks for that Peter..... you lost me there.... I'll make the reeds and you make the pictures.... life's simpler that way!

It is the resizing and transfering from one bit of the computer to the other that tangles me up, usually.... :o

"Any suggestions , pictures , materials Size , etc."

Bob, did you see the case that I recently purchased from eBay? I just wanted to show you this because it's made from ply and covered in leatherette. It looks big and bulky but it's actually quite small and very light… and shows what can you can do if you want to include some fancy trimmings, etc.! I bought this because it looks so funny, like a treasure chest… I certainly wouldn't want to carry it around in public! You didn't mention if your future case will be needed for travel or just storage at home, mine is definitely only for storage… before I bought this case I looked at a lot of different tool boxes, Storm cases, Pelican cases, ammo boxes, etc. but they all seemed too industrial and rugged for such a delicate instrument. I also looked at photographic cases but most of them were too shallow… or way too expensive. I was just thinking about making my own when I saw this on eBay… making your own will certainly get you the best fit… plywood seems to be about the best wood to use, lined with foam or polystyrene and covered with a nice soft material. As to creating a shape to fit in 3 concertinas… well, even though old wooden concertina cases often had the concertinas standing on end, I read somewhere recently that you should never store a concertina on end, that it should be stored horizontally… not sure if that's true or not but it might be worth checking out before you design your box...

post-11342-0-35641000-1411569469_thumb.jpgpost-11342-0-37558000-1411569495_thumb.jpg

I am thinking of building a case to house my three Anglo Concertinas .Should I buy a tool Box and convert it or may be make one out of plywood.Any sggestions , pictures , materials Size , ect .Thanks Bob

Bob, I regularly take 3 anglos with me and have found the easiest and lightest solution is to use those old, hexagonal, leather "jug" cases, three of which will easily fit into a medium sized rucksack. I travel regularly by plane with them in this way and have never had any problems taking the rucksack as hand baggage, mostly with BA and KLM/AF. I did once make a plywood case for 3 anglos which I had covered with leather - looks beautiful but weighs a ton! http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15116

With the thin, light cases in rucksack idea, I can also stuff music, computer etc in with the boxes.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

I recently built a case for my Edeophone from 1/2" plywood. It's far too heavy although very sturdy. If I were to do it again, I'd use 1/4' or 3/16" plywood and use finger joints for the sides. I have tended to make my top and bottom pieces thick enough to put some brads from the sides into the top and bottom with the thought that if the glue ever deteriorated, the brads would keep the top or bottom from falling out abruptly. Start by deciding on how much space each instrument requires and then diagram it, adding the padding thickness and plywood around that space. Consider adding a little storage space for a recorder, paper pad, pencil and screwdriver at one end.

post-10117-0-89187500-1411758464_thumb.jpg

post-10117-0-09973000-1411758482_thumb.jpg

post-10117-0-25134900-1411758502_thumb.jpg

post-10117-0-42878300-1411758655_thumb.jpg

I generally use 6mm baltic birch for the base material for any boxes I make.

Construction techniques I vary according to the weight going into them. Box joints for heavier use, small brads and glue for lighter use (like concertinas) followed by 3mm dowels if I want to reinforce.

I generally cut and plane strips of hardwood (whatever shop scraps I have) about 7+ or 8mm thick and glue/through dowel those around the inside of the top and bottom where I want hardware to fit. That allows convenient use of 1/2" screws for mounting hinges and latches. That also creates a lip around the top of the storage area. I then glue 10mm foam padding (I like to use the closed cell foam that is typically used in camping pads) to photo mounting board, and cover that with appropriate cloth after ensuring the section fits. The cloth is then only stretched glued to the mounting board (backside), and the finished padding panel is then put into place with thin double sided tape. If you choose to use corner blocks per the above, pad, cover and put them in first - probably best to glue those in.

Exterior finishing is then a matter of taste. I like to use wood veneers, but that is a lot more work, and the finish will be prone to damage. Lots of choice in fabric stores for vinyl materials that will add a nice look, and waterproofing at the same time.

There are as many ways to go about this as posters on this forum.

Have fun.

Doug

Thanks for all your input. I have purchased from B&Q DIY Store a toolbox which will convert to carrying my three anglo's.

The problem is I had not realised how big and heavy the box and three would be.The 3 Anglo's are C/G G/D & Bb/F.

Compressing the songs I sing onto just two anglo's is possible as it is to play on just one but the the resulting sound is not so good, so the tool box project is on hold for a while. Bob

Edited by KelTekgolow

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All I have bought a case from my local DIY store (B&Q) cost £20 . It has two strong catches to hold the lid and as its designed to hold tools the weight of my three Anglo's is OK

I have disgarded the tool tray that came with it and I have started to cut foam to line the case ,In time I will fit padded blocks to keep the bellows in the closed position.

There is plenty of room on top for my music .I hope to disguise the extenal appearance with some suitable music stickers,as already I am being called ,"Bob The Builder".

What a treat it is when I go out to play and I have the choice of three instruments. C/G G/D & Bb/F.

Here are two pictures .What do you think ? Bobpost-6154-0-23605800-1413886119_thumb.jpgpost-6154-0-06111700-1413886184_thumb.jpg