Noel Hill Model Carroll: A New Owner's Review

Jim Burke

Wally has a nice description on his website:

Our Noel Hill model instrument is 6" across the flats and is the culmination of several years of research and development in collaboration with renowned concertina player, Noel Hill. The goal in creating this model was to create an instrument that has the sweet tone of our Standard instrument along with the speedy response of our Small instrument. Every aspect of this instrument has been thoroughly worked and reworked. Most of the qualities of this instrument have to do with the tone and play-ability but we have also included a low D drone on the left thumb, a seven fold bellows with custom gold papers and a custom endplate pattern with carving and inlaid details.

I'm very happy with my 34 buttons Dipper because of my reverse F, E, Bb and G# but I would love to have a reverse lower C... some tunes (especially Dm and Dmix) require gymnastic in the lower notes when using lot of low A, B and C in the same phrases. I think I'd be happy with just a C push/pull on my left thumb, something like that. That's my Christmas wish ;-)

Edited by Azalin

I think I'd be happy with just a C push/pull on my left thumb, something like that. That's my Christmas wish ;-)

I'm looking forward to a post-Christmas photo of your thumb. :D

I really want music to be an extension of my body :lol: