It's All New To Me!

Greetings,

I've posted one question before this, concerning a damaged "project" 'tina bought on eBay, and I'm happy to say that after a lot of heavy hints about negative feedback, the seller sent me a brand-new, undamaged replacement, and apologies.

Granted, this is a 20 button Hohner we're talking about, something I imagine most of you are wrinkling your nose at, and I agree. It's a Chinese made, POS (look that one up), and I've already had to disassemble it to replace a faulty rubber washer that held a button in place. BUT... It's what I wanted at this stage.

My problem is, I've gotten myself a "how to" book, which I think is even worse than this 'tina. It's titled: "Mel Bay's Deluxe Concertina Book" by Frank J. Converse. Not only are the tunes given for pratice mind numbingly dull and obscure: Sur le pont D'avignon, but there are typo's that even a novic like me has spotted. Who knows how many there are that I won't catch?

Can anyone recommend a good beginner's book of instruction? I grew up playing the flute, so I can read music, but it'll be a trip to see if I can make one hand play one line of music, while the other tries to harmonize. I CAN pat my head while rubbing my belly. That's a good sign, right?

Granted, this is a 20 button Hohner we're talking about, something I imagine most of you are wrinkling your nose at, and I agree.  It's a Chinese made, POS (look that one up), and I've already had to disassemble it to replace a faulty rubber washer that held a button in place.  BUT...  It's what I wanted at this stage.

[...]

Can anyone recommend a good beginner's book of instruction?  I grew up playing the flute, so I can read music, but it'll be a trip to see if I can make one hand play one line of music, while the other tries to harmonize. 

Frank Edgely's book is great for 20-button concertinas. I believe most of the tunes work for 20-button boxes. It's a great book all-around.

There is also a videotape by John M. Williams, sold by homespun tapes online. This teaches you 5 tunes, all of which are playable on a 20-button concertina. One of the tunes is a reel in the key of D, but if I recall correctly it has no c#.

Caj

Can anyone recommend a good beginner's book of instruction?  I grew up playing the flute, so I can read music, but it'll be a trip to see if I can make one hand play one line of music, while the other tries to harmonize.  I CAN pat my head while rubbing my belly.  That's a good sign, right?

Yes, indeed it is.

Most tutors out there are for the Irish style of playing, which in the main concentrates on the melody line spread across both hands. If you want to play melody and accompaniment (which is much more of an English approach to the instrument) the best - indeed the only - tutor to look at this is "The Anglo Concertina Demystified" by Bertram Levy. Fortunately it is excellent. Here's the info I have on it in the concertina FAQ:-

The Anglo Concertina Demystified

by Bertram Levy

Front Hall Enterprises, Inc

Voorheesville, New York

Distributed in UK by

C & R Dipper

West End House

High Street

Heytesbury

Warminster BA12 0EA

England

You should also try this website here. This has (among some other interesting stuff) 3 articles on how to play the anglo by the Guv'nor himself, John Kirkpatrick. You CANNOT go wrong by following JK's advice.

Chris

Can anyone recommend a good beginner's book of instruction?  I grew up playing the flute, so I can read music, but it'll be a trip to see if I can make one hand play one line of music, while the other tries to harmonize.

I'll enthusiasticly second Bertram Levy's book (which comes with 2 CD's!). Another choice for English style playing an anglo is Roger Watson's Handbook for Anglo-Chromatic Concertina which while does get beyond the 20-button (Bertram's does too...) has much which is accessible for a basic 20-button model. You can check out more tutors here.