English Concertina By William Scales, For Auction. 20Th Sept. Dublin I

Anglogeezer

For auction by WHYTE'S of Dublin on 20th September.

Lot 19
Description: A mid-19th Century Irish Rosewood Concertina, by William Scales, self-professed 'Professor of Concertinas'.
Of typical hexagonal form with ivory keys, the ends with scrolled and foliate fretwork. Ivory trade label to right end: 'Joseph Scales - Manufacturer - 46 Grafton Street - Dublin - From New Bond Street London' , serial number 211 to Left end. c.1850. In mahogany fitted case, the lid with brass carrying handle. h:6 w:6 d:6 in.
Estimated Price: €250 - €350

Jake

From the label, this concertina may have accompanied Scates (or been sent to him) during his first visit to Ireland in 1850, so it appears to be among very few concertinas with evidence of such an early arrival in Ireland.

Somewhere in storage I have a Scates english with the same label, but a later serial number and much different fretwork, similar to some Wheatstones. Mine has Scates' own annotations and signature inside in several places. Mine also has ivory buttons, as did many of the very early english concertinas from the 19th century.

It's great that this very historic concertina is for sale in Ireland, and I hope a serious student, collector, or museum is able to purchase it and retain it there -- especially since transporting ivory across international borders, or even possessing it, has become increasingly restricted.

PG

Edited by Paul Groff