Wheatstone Aeola 64 Key Baritone/treble English For Sale

Dwhthompson

I am selling my prized Wheatstone Aeola 64 key baritone/treble english concertina. I bought the box last year and had it restored to immaculate condition by David Robertson earlier this year.

The box was a very large investment and I have played it only a couple of times due to its size and weight. I figure that the investment is best spent elsewhere on more practical things.

I have listed the box on Ebay but am also happy to sell privately.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281414833366

Please contact me if you would like to know more.

David

Looks like a lovely instrument and a bargain at the price, when you consider what the Music Room were asking for a very basic metal-ended 48 key Lachenal treble, at the recent Sidmouth Folk Week - £4,000! I couldn't believe it. In contrast, Chris Algar also had a stand there and was asking a mere £1400 for a very nice metal-ended Lachenal new model treble English.

Chris

As far as I know, the instrument you refer to from the Music-Room is an original 40 key F-tenor - a very rare and desirable instrument!

In fact I converted an EE 64 key baritone-treble Aeola similar to the one for sale here to an F-tenor-treble by swapping a few reeds. It now plays a fifth below treble pitch if played one row down - with the range of a tenor-treble!

It is a lovely and well balanced range to play in and I enjoy that I can play all my arrangements in this range without changing the fingering! By now I have several F-tenor instruments.

I see that the description for for this instrument in the digitised Wheatstone ledgers in the Horniman includes the term 'S.V.'. I think this has been explained previously on this forum (but I could not find it) - can anyone provide enlightenment?

http://www.horniman.info/DKNSARC/SD01/PAGES/D1P1880S.HTM

A very tempting instrument...

S.V. is the ledger designation for a slide valve, where the air valve is activated by a lever which is "slid" side to side. K.V. denotes a key valve as in activated by the up and down motion of a button or key.

Careful inspection of the picture of the right side of the instrument will reveal the slide lever just above the thumb strap. (toward the badge of the instrument)

Greg

Re: the Music Room's 40 key tenor, you are right, Conzertino, indeed it is a tenor. When I saw it in Sidmouth, the writing on the label was quite small and I didn't read it properly and made an assumption it must be a standard treble. I have just looked at their website and it is pictured and listed as a tenor. Still a lot of money, though.

Chris

RE the Music Room's Lachenal Tenor, I have watched that for a number of months now---Tenors are desirable, but THAT desirable? 4,000 sterling? Ludicrous. That is close to $7,000US. The description says raised ends, but there's nothing in the listing referencing "New Model," and regardless---it doesn't even appear to have been restored. This is why a lot of vintage ECs posted for sale just are not moving. There's a lot of fantasy about.

Edited by ceemonster

It is re-listed at a lower price £3600, as an auction, not buy it now.

That sounds more like it. As I recall, a member here, sold his Metal Ended version earlier this year for something like this starting price.

Hope the photos have been improved.

Edited by Geoff Wooff