Return To Playing After Wrist Fracture

Molly Roberts

On November 19th I'll have the final cast removed from my right wrist, which I fractured October 5th in a fall off a ladder. Specifically, it was a compression fracture of my distal radius; simple reduction, ie., no pins required. I'll start PT the following week, but would appreciate some advice from players who've recovered from similar injuries. What's been helpful for you? How long did it take you to return to playing as you had before?

I discovered concertinas 3 years ago and have had a lovely time with them ever since - though 99% of my playing is done at home alone. I recently switched from my Lachenal duet to an anglo and am accustomed to playing a hour or so most evenings. So - advice about how to return as quickly as possible without doing something silly that sets me back - is what I'm seeking.

Silver lining: I'm a lefty!

Thanks everybody,

Molly

I'm a lefty too! But in 1999 I got RSI in both wrists and lost most of that year from concertina. (See 2 articles here on c.net) I limited myself to 5 minutes a day for quite a while. I do fine now. The challenge was that the cure (as with many things orthopedic) was time. That is a tough medicine in a society like mine where they want you to think that a(n expensive) pill is the instant cure for everything. So all I can tell you is go slow! Ask your PT; show them your concertina.

I'm going to echo Ken's advice: go slow, and ask for help from your PT.

I've had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists. The first "cut" healed fine, despite extensive adhesions when the cast came off, because I worked so hard on the PT. The second hand is permanently not OK (even though it started out in better condition both before and after surgery) because I was in too much of a hurry to return to work, which involved holding a pen for long periods instead of moving the hand and working on the PT. My point is that extreme care in, and even deprivation from, your preferred activities in the early stages of recovery will pay off later. If you rush, you may suffer unpleasant consequences--and we all hope this won't happen!

Good luck! :)