Treble Keys Not Working

Probably the wrong forum for this kind of instrument, but it sounds to me that either reeds have fallen out of the reedblocks (does it rattle when shaken?), or the reedblocks have become dislodged. (Worst case scenario would be, of course, that there are no treble reeds present, which means you have been somewhat ripped off!!!)

(edited to remove perceived commercial content)

Edited by malcolm clapp

My impressions and thoughts have been similar. While the bass notes and chords seem to be there, they seem to require way too much air supply to sound at all. The instrument seems to be suffering from a significant loss of air. Combined with the treble reeds not sounding at all it's very likely that it's on the "right" side that the loss is happening.

Have you tried to play bass notes without pressing any piano key? Do you need more air supply when you simultaneously press piano keys? Even a total lack of treble reeds shouldn't affect the bass side with all the pads on the right side closed...

Best wishes - Wolf

Dear Malcolm Clapp and Blue eyed sailor,

Thank you very much for your feedbacks, I really appreciate your help.

Yes the accordion rattles when shaken, I tried playing the bass notes without pressing any piano keys, they seem to be fine but more air supply is needed when pressing piano keys. I checked the pads on the treble side; they are all closed and bent properly.

I'm really confused because when I contacted the seller, he claimed that the damage might have happened during the shipment to Brisbane (although I'm sure such air leakage was already there, funny the Accordion was packed in a professional way!).

I'm trying to reach a way out with the seller because I was absolutely scammed.

Malcolm clapp if I'm going to keep the accordion, I will give you a call for sure.

Again thanks for the great help offered!

Best regards

Opening the accordion should be not that difficult! There will most likely be certain pins, about six or eight on each side, which can simply be pulled out by using piers. If you manage to do that on the treble side you'll be able to lift the bellows off the treble side. It seems not unlikely that the whole reed banks have fallen out of their position which they hold just by being clamped. It might in fact have happend during the shipping...

I'm really confused because when I contacted the seller, he claimed that the damage might have happened during the shipment to Brisbane

I don't know Australian laws, but I would think that if the damage occurred in shipping, the responsibility lies with the individual or business that shipped the article. Also, it should have been insured, unless you specifically requested that it not be.

At this point I would recommend that you not open the instrument yourself, lest the seller try to claim that you caused whatever damage has occurred. Instead, take it to a competent accordion repair person (I suspect Malcolm might be able to recommend someone nearer to you than himself) for an assessment of the condition and whether it's worth restoring to good playing condition, and an estimate of the cost to do so. This could then be used in further negotiation with the seller.

Or, if you wish (sounds like you might), simply return it to the seller/sender for a full refund.

In any case, you should check with eBay regarding any protections they may provide under their rules. (Did you pay via PayPal? I think they also offer some sort of protection.)

Opening the accordion should be not that difficult! There will most likely be certain pins, about six or eight on each side, which can simply be pulled out by using piers. If you manage to do that on the treble side you'll be able to lift the bellows off the treble side. It seems not unlikely that the whole reed banks have fallen out of their position which they hold just by being clamped. It might in fact have happend during the shipping...

Okay I spotted the pins , I will give it a look soon , shouldn't be that hard.

(I suspect Malcolm might be able to recommend someone nearer to you than himself)

In Australia four hours would be considered very close. In Sydney (a much bigger town than Brisbane) there is not a single person to do this work and I regularly refer people to Malcolm who is about seven hours north of here. We are lucky to have him and I don't understand why you are suggesting there is something untoward in his offer of help.

Edited by Chris Ghent

I'm really confused because when I contacted the seller, he claimed that the damage might have happened during the shipment to Brisbane

I don't know Australian laws, but I would think that if the damage occurred in shipping, the responsibility lies with the individual or business that shipped the article. Also, it should have been insured, unless you specifically requested that it not be.

At this point I would recommend that you not open the instrument yourself, lest the seller try to claim that you caused whatever damage has occurred. Instead, take it to a competent accordion repair person (I suspect Malcolm might be able to recommend someone nearer to you than himself) for an assessment of the condition and whether it's worth restoring to good playing condition, and an estimate of the cost to do so. This could then be used in further negotiation with the seller.

Or, if you wish (sounds like you might), simply return it to the seller/sender for a full refund.

In any case, you should check with eBay regarding any protections they may provide under their rules. (Did you pay via PayPal? I think they also offer some sort of protection.)

Dear JimLucas, thank you very much for your feedback

Yes I payed using paypal, the seller said that he can't be responsible for shipment faults, still he claimed that he "will find a way to make me happy". He offered me 4 options one of them is a discount on a 48 WELTMEISTER (around 100 USD for the accordion) that is in a prefect condition . I'm a bit skeptical because the seller does not have one single negative feedback for his sold items which are all accordions . Do you guys think I should accept the deal ? I asked for a video that proves that the accordion is working 100%.

I tried contacting a local repair person and when he knew that the accordion is made in Russia he said it might be a waste of time working on it , so maybe when I contact Malcolm he will be able to help!

Edited by soltanov

(I suspect Malcolm might be able to recommend someone nearer to you than himself)

In Australia four hours would be considered very close. In Sydney (a much bigger town than Brisbane) there is not a single person to do this work and I regularly refer people to Malcolm who is about seven hours north of here. We are lucky to have him and I don't understand why you are suggesting there is something untoward in his offer of help.

I didn't suggest anything untoward. On the contrary, my intended meaning was that Malcolm is knowledgeable, helpful, and unselfish.

If four hours away really is the closest competent accordion service, then that's that. My experience both in the US and in Scandinavia is that they're much more densely packed. (Alas, not so for concertina service.)

Sorry Jim, went off a bit there, must have been the wrong side of the bed this morning...

No big deal. Misunderstandings happen, and I've been on both ends of that before now. It only becomes a problem if they can't be resolved.

Thank you, Chris and Jim, for your kind words.

However, on reflection, my post could have been construed in the sense that I was touting for business, when in fact I was simply offering advice and trying to be helpful to somebody living comparatively locally, who clearly has concerns about his newly acquired accordion.

Just to clarify, I am virtually retired from the accordion (and concertina) repair business ("nearly an old aged pensioner" to quote Claude Greengrass). I still do the odd repair for long-time, existing customers and people who won't take "no" for an answer! I am also happy to undertake jobs from time to time that I may consider "interesting".

I'm certainly not actively seeking repair work at the present time, but I am always willing to offer (helpful?) advice, and it is in this spirit that I responded to the OP.

I apologise if my post gave the impression that it was of a commercial nature. It has been amended, and I shall certainly be more circumspect in the future.

I apologise if my post gave the impression that it was of a commercial nature. It has been amended, and I shall certainly be more circumspect in the future.

Well, I certainly hadn't interpreted it that way, so I hope no one else had. Seemed to me you were just trying to be helpful, as so many here are, even when they're also professional.

Thank you, Chris and Jim, for your kind words.

However, on reflection, my post could have been construed in the sense that I was touting for business, when in fact I was simply offering advice and trying to be helpful to somebody living comparatively locally, who clearly has concerns about his newly acquired accordion.

Just to clarify, I am virtually retired from the accordion (and concertina) repair business ("nearly an old aged pensioner" to quote Claude Greengrass). I still do the odd repair for long-time, existing customers and people who won't take "no" for an answer! I am also happy to undertake jobs from time to time that I may consider "interesting".

I'm certainly not actively seeking repair work at the present time, but I am always willing to offer (helpful?) advice, and it is in this spirit that I responded to the OP.

Dear Malcolm, please don't apologies, I never got the sense that you offered me help just for business. your advice saved my accordion , I opened the accordion and found that the reeds have fallen out of the reedblocks , I took it out cleaned it and then placed it back . The treble keys are vibrating now , accept for the major C key , because the leather pad fell out too. I will buy some glue to attach it again.

It was a great honor to get an advice from someone experienced and talented like you .

Best Regards.

post-11319-0-74936100-1407939934_thumb.jpg

post-11319-0-61365600-1407939936_thumb.jpg

Edited by soltanov

Hey, good work and result Soltanov!

As Mike says, what a great feeling to have fixed this. I am sure it helps in the bonding process with an instrument (after the inital feeling of apprehension when taking screw driver in hand...!)

Hope it will now give many hours of happy playing