What Do I Do Now? (Anglo C/d)

When I tried a 30 button Anglo, I found that the two normal rows were slightly misplaced and a bit closer together. I think I am getting beyond the point where I even want to bother. As I said, I enjoy playing the one I have and my wife's opinion is important to me. She says that she likes it the way it is. I have other things I could do with the money (like my model railway) and as a pensioner on a fixed income I have to sometimes make do and mend.

So,apart from paying out around £750 minimum or spending lots of time learning new layouts, the status quo looks good.

Thanks for the thought though.

I had no end of fun on my first 20 button and there are one or two buttons on my 36 which very seldom get an opportunity to be heard. The speedometer on my car is calibrated up to 140 mpg but I have never touched 70. Moderation in all things. !

David,

I was fortunate enough to pick up a dead 24 button two row a couple of years ago on Ebay. OK, I spent abut £150 buying it and a further £100 or so on parts but It is great fun with its brass reeds and the extra buttons are C*/Eb, G*/Bb over two octaves, which still enables me to play tunes in C and G, as before, and some tunes D, A, Bb and F, although the range is less than with a 30 button and sometimes the button you want is on the wrong side and in the wrong direction. Even so it is cheap fun and I play it at home more than any of my other Anglo's despite its floppy bellows, leaks and five folds.

So, Keep looking, they do turn up.

Mike

When I tried a 30 button Anglo, I found that the two normal rows were slightly misplaced and a bit closer together. I think I am getting beyond the point where I even want to bother. As I said, I enjoy playing the one I have and my wife's opinion is important to me. She says that she likes it the way it is. I have other things I could do with the money (like my model railway) and as a pensioner on a fixed income I have to sometimes make do and mend.

So,apart from paying out around £750 minimum or spending lots of time learning new layouts, the status quo looks good.

Sounds like you've made a decision, so I guess what I'm going to say here is more for others who might read this thread in the future, but...

Unlike Englishes and duets, button spacing and size can vary somewhat among anglos, depending not just on the maker but the model. So I think it's possible, even likely, that there are 24-, 26- 28-, and 30-button Lachenal anglos out there where the placement and spacing of the 20-button core exactly matches your own 20-button. (Also 20-button anglos that don't quite match your own.)

But there will be in the future, too, if you ever reconsider. :)