Interesting Rhythms

lildogturpy

I was recently introduced to the Tolka Polka which I just posted on the Tune-o-tron here. The B and C parts have fun rhythms to play and it's a bit tricky to keep the beat going but a lot of fun. I then found that it goes quite well with Chassepain by Gilles Chabanat which I posted here a while ago.

Can anyone recommend other tunes that have unusual rhythms?

Pete Jung's "Far Away" Waltz has a fun "reverse-hemiola"-type thing in the B section that's a lot of fun (particularly if you're waltzing to it). I suspect it's under copyright, so I hesitate to post it, but I think it's in one of the volumes of "The Waltz Book."

Also, if you're looking for fun rhythms, get into some zweifachers.

Pete Jung's "Far Away" Waltz has a fun "reverse-hemiola"-type thing in the B section that's a lot of fun (particularly if you're waltzing to it). I suspect it's under copyright, so I hesitate to post it, but I think it's in one of the volumes of "The Waltz Book."

This is a tune I play on both guitar and concertina. The section David mentions is in fact the real hook in the tune. It appears in Matthiesen's fine "Waltz Book I", but you can find a .jpg of the dots and guitar tab at jean banwarth's site, along with a midi of it and many other worthy guitar- and bouzouki-centered transcriptions. It's also in JC's ABC tune finder.

Edited by Stephen Mills

Pete Jung's "Far Away" Waltz has a fun "reverse-hemiola"-type thing in the B section that's a lot of fun

Yes - that was the first tune I ever learned on the concertina :) And for those of you who know of Jean Duval in Montreal, the Far Away Waltz usually leads us into his Halloween Jig.

I guess answering my own question - La Boite a Frisson (the freezer or ice box? although I thought it might be a reference to an accordion - literally a shaking box :) ) has a nice lilt to the rhythm - I posted this in the tune-o-tron here

Edited by lildogturpy

>I hesitate to post it, but I think it's in one of the volumes of

> "The Waltz Book."

Volume 1. And as you say, Far Away is great fun to play.

For some interesting rhythmic challenge, I also suggest Larry Unger's "Two Rivers," a gorgeous waltz with some interesting twists.

• 3 weeks later...