D/g Wanted

rob carr

Hello everybody, I am here under a new name as I have so many logins and passwords I lost the ones to this site, But the reason for the post is I am in the market for a good quality G/D 30 button anglo. I would prefer a traditional concertina but if the right hybrid came along I could be tempted.

Also later if I get a g/d and when I have assessed it, there could be a C/G connor on the market, depending on how much I have to shell out for the new one, When I say new, I mean new to me as I would prefer a good second hand one that some one might have gathering dust on the shelf.

Hello Rob

I recently upgraded from a Stagi G/D to a Morse G/D. The Buttonbox in Massachusetts bought it back from me, so you could inquire to see if they still have it. It has only been a month so it is likely they still have it.

Daria

Thankyou for the info Daria, but if I do manage to get a G/D it will be a keeper, having had a Stagi in the past I cannot say that I was completely happy with it and I would be, like you, upgrading in a very short while.

How are you finding the Morse? Loud/quiet? Light/heavy? I am over the pond so I have not aquainted myself with this make yet. What would it be like for playing for dance out of doors.

Edited by rob carr

Absolutely LOVE my Morse! It is so smooth and easy to play and the people at the Buttonbox are wonderful to work with. Would be worth a trip across the pond!

I don't play outdoors for dances but maybe Jim Besser could answer that for you since he also has a morse GD and plays for dances.

Edited by Daria

I have been the proud owner of a G/D Marcus over the last year. It goes everywhere with me, and I have to say it is a joy to play. I use it in sessions with much more experienced players, who all compliment it, and I also use it for outdoor Morris dancing. It is fast and light on the touch, and has the feel of a thing of quality.

No need to go over the pond.

If you are taking a trip north, the Music Room in Cleckheaton (Yorkshire) stocks both Morse and Marcus instruments so you could compare the two.

Now that sounds like a plan, I shall be venturing up into the frozen wastelands of the north soon, when I shall be going up to the Ingleton weekend in October, so a trip across to Cleckheaton will now be added to the trip. Thankyou.

Rob,

I have a G/D Jeffries that I would consider selling. Only thing is that it is a 26 key. I do not know if you have any experience with 26-key Jeffries (or other brands of 26-key instruments). but I am very partial toward them. The 26-key Jeffries ones that I have (i also have a C/G 26-key) are really fine with respect to both feel and sound. Even if someone insisted on a 30-key C/G instrument for sessions, a 26-key G/D makes a great secondary instrument.

My 26-key Jeffries in G/D is a "C. Jeffries, 23 Praed St. instrument; probably dating from around 1910) with metal buttons. It is spotless--simply in mint condition.

I will consider selling it, though I am not particularly anxious to do so. It is the only full-size G/D concertina that I own. (However, G/D is the most popular key combination for miniature Anglo concertinas, and I have a couple of those.)

If you are interested, please send a personal message to Dowright.

Edited by Dowright

Still looking, but it will have to be in the EU , the taxes involved from outside is a killer. I expect a few replies when Sidmouth is over and the sellers are back in their rightful places. Plus my trip up north in a couple of months time should turn up something worth trying out. I know there are ways around the tax bit, but they are not for me.

I have a GD Marcus 30 button deluxe potentially for sale. Plain black bellows and woodwork with chromed metal ends, metal buttons. Good condition, I'm only selling because I have two 30 button GDs and the other one is a Dipper. The Marcus sells new at £1,850. I'm in Lincolnshire and would prefer to sell in the UK.

Sorted. By that nice Chris Algar. Thankyou everybody who sent PM's and for the suggestions here on the forum. I hope I did not waste people too much time. But it was decisions, decisions all the way. Ended up with an ex Sally Army metal ended Lachenal that looks the business and if it plays as well as it looks I will be one happy bunny.

Edited by rob carr

I'm also looking for a (fairly low-price....used?) G/D Anglo. I'm just getting started with the Anglo (been playing English for a year or so), and not sure it will stick ,. Also I have just retired and so want to keep the price lower than $400, I would go a bit more for a double-reed instrument as I really like the sound. I'm in San Diego CA, USA. Mike G.

Dear Capn,

I believe it is just single reeded, but I traded in a Stagi 20 b in G/D to the wonderful folks at the ButtonBox, and I think it is listed on their site for under your stated limit. Although carefully used, it is as nearly new as could be, and it can get one started in those easy keys.

Regards,

David

• 4 weeks later...

Rob. I just spent an hour trying to re-est. contact with Concertina Net as I saw you were looking for a D/g Anglo. I have a Connor D/g, with drone button, that I would consider selling, if you're still looking. I do no yet have a price but please advise if interested. While I am in Canada, you in Isle of Wight, my wife is travelling to England this fall, schedule uncertain. Anyway, let me know if you're interested. J