8-Sided Chemnitzer On Ebay

Daniel Hersh

For those interested, here is more information from the seller in reply to my questions:

Dear danersen,

This concertina has a different note on blow and draw on both sides. Every note plays. There are no air leaks. There seems to have been a repair to the bellows as can be seen in picture #4 (or maybe melted from heat). I do not know about the reeds as this instrument is a consignment piece and I do not wish to take it apart to examine the reeds. I do not know about the age of the instrument. All keys and functions are working. The pictures of the button keys are a bit blurry, but in #3 you can see the markings of the keys next to the buttons. I can register A440 on the instrument.

- lynell03

Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

To: lynell03

Subject: danersen has sent a question about item #380963844238, ending on Aug-29-14 13:01:53 PDT - Concertina Vintage *NICE!*

Sent Date: Jul-30-14 20:50:54 PDT

Dear lynell03,

Hello,

I am interested in this instrument and have a number of questions about it.

1. Is it bisonoric (different tone from same button on draw than press) or unisonoric (same tone on press and draw from same button)?

2. Does every note sound on both the press and the draw?

3. Are there any air leaks or other issues with the bellows?

4. Is the pitch a=440 or some other?

5. Are there any repairs or damage of any kind?

6. Do all of the mechanics operate properly and smoothly?

7. Are the reeds individual accordion reeds, concertina reeds, or long-plate reeds?

8. What is the scope of the notes (lowest to highest) in each hand?

9. Is there any uniform sequence to the note layout?

10. Have you any knowledge or estimate about its age?

Thanks,

Dan

- danersen

It's at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Concertina-Vintage-NICE-/380963844238 Just mentioning it here because I think it looks cool....

52 buttons. I think that would be 104 notes/tones in Chemnitzer terminology. Here's a layout.

And it looks like the right hand has stops for different voices, something I've never seen before on a Chemnitzer, though I'm hardly an expert.

As he's the in-house Chem expert, I shot Ted Kloba a message pinging him to this thread. Just on the off-chance it's something he or a colleague find engaging.

I owned a Chem for a while, and fun and big sound though the layout was a big crossword puzzle (I have enough trouble with Anglo). I vaguely aspired to use it for Americana like the band 16 Horsepower does, but just ended up sticking with Hayden hybrid concertina instead to get my organ-like droney sound for accompaniment.

Edited by MatthewVanitas

Jim, you noticed that one of these inherited Chemnitzers in that more recent thread has those stops too, didn't you?

Actually, no. Being in a hurry, I didn't look at the full-size images until just now. Now I see that you're right.

As he's the in-house Chem expert, I shot Ted Kloba a message pinging him to this thread. Just on the off-chance it's something he or a colleague find engaging.

Thanks, Matthew. It's at least a little amusing. Though the name badge is not shown on the auction page, I think these were sold under the Stradivarius brand and made in Italy. I have seen a couple of these in person and to me they're little more than an expensive novelty: Incredibly heavy (even for a chemnitzer), and very accordiony tone (... even for a chemnitzer ...)

It's at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Concertina-Vintage-NICE-/380963844238 Just mentioning it here because I think it looks cool....

52 buttons. I think that would be 104 notes/tones in Chemnitzer terminology. Here's a layout.

And it looks like the right hand has stops for different voices, something I've never seen before on a Chemnitzer, though I'm hardly an expert.

That 5-stop radio-button configuration was very common on the Italian-made models. Definitely a contributor to the weight, and implemented on the reed blocks in a similar fashion to register switches in an accordion. One of my Star concertinas has a single switch that shuts off the low-octave reed, but it is accomplished by a slider in a groove on the valveboard. The "high-low" switch on the Star is more common on the American makes.

Jim, you noticed that one of these inherited Chemnitzers in that more recent thread has those stops too, didn't you?

...now I have to find the "inherited Chemnitzers" thread...

Edited to say: just found it, and what do you know: another Stradivarius!

Edited by Theodore Kloba

And here's another Stradivarius (at a much more reasonable price) which also has the switches, but only four sides: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stradivarius-Italy-Concertina-28-24-Button-5-Switch-Terlinde-Accordion-Mic-NICE-/390905641704

Thanks, Matthew. It's at least a little amusing. Though the name badge is not shown on the auction page, I think these were sold under the Stradivarius brand and made in Italy. I have seen a couple of these in person and to me they're little more than an expensive novelty: Incredibly heavy (even for a chemnitzer), and very accordiony tone (... even for a chemnitzer ...)

That 5-stop radio-button configuration was very common on the Italian-made models. Definitely a contributor to the weight, and implemented on the reed blocks in a similar fashion to register switches in an accordion. One of my Star concertinas has a single switch that shuts off the low-octave reed, but it is accomplished by a slider in a groove on the valveboard. The "high-low" switch on the Star is more common on the American makes.

...now I have to find the "inherited Chemnitzers" thread...

Edited to say: just found it, and what do you know: another Stradivarius!