Where To Get Case Corner Protectors

I can find metal case corner protectors / trunk corners at several vendors, e.g. Reliable Hardware, Rockler, etc. but I haven't been able to find any rubber or plastic ones. I'd like to find rubber or plastic corner protectors since I think they'd be kinder than metal when set on a table, and also less prone to skid if the case were bumped. I'm in the US, but the ones I see on the cases at Hobgoblin in the UK are what I'd like to find. Photo of a Hobgoblin case below. Does anyone know a source for plastic or rubber case corner protectors?

post-10117-0-36969400-1406161116_thumb.jpg

It looks to me like those corner guards are actually a texturedand painted soft metal, rather than rubber or plastic, although I haven't seen the actual cases to know for certain. Interestingly, the smaller concertina case has a slightly different corner shape, which looks more like it could be rubber, although that might not be true either.

I would think you could fashion nice corners from leather, starting with a an equilateral triangle, soaking it it water, then screwing down each corner of the triangle onto the three faces of the case, and allowing it to dry in place to take the required shape. But probably worth trying it out on a piece of scrap wood first to test it.

Alternatively, I saw some clear silicone corner guards that might work on Amazon.com

I have one of these Hobgoblin cases and the corner protectors are some form of plastic, adequate, but I am sure could be bettered. Some timeago I got some more robust corner protectors for a larger box I am planning to build to hold two concertinas - these were significantly more robust and impact absorbing being designed for stage PA gear.

Here is a link to some on Ebay, just as an example, they seem to come in all sorts of sizes. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PA-Speaker-Corner-Protectors-C6-Corner-1-x-1-6-Pieces-/261289491490?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Speaker_Parts&hash=item3cd6113c22#ht_1654wt_1069

Coincidently I have some of the clear silicone corner gaurds too - used in a kitchen project. They are quite soft so might not wear too well; they do however do an excellent job in preventing me gashing my forehead on the corners of a metal cooker hood!

It looks to me like those corner guards are actually a texturedand painted soft metal, rather than rubber or plastic, although I haven't seen the actual cases to know for certain. Interestingly, the smaller concertina case has a slightly different corner shape, which looks more like it could be rubber, although that might not be true either.

My Jackie travels around in one of those very cases on the rare occasions when it goes out the house into situations I don't want to take the expensive ECs.

(That sounds like I'm regularly the first concertina player parachuted into a war zone - actually it's camping trips, potentially wet outdoor gigs, stuff like that).

I'm pretty sure the corner pieces are a tough plastic, and are indeed very furniture-friendly.

An Ebay.co.uk search for 'case corner protectors' comes up with several plastic options, although trying the same search on ebay.com is less successful; so maybe there's a terminology thing going on here!

Happy to learn I was wrong about the Hobgoblin cases. :)

I can't seem to post a link to the product I'm seeing on Amazon.

They look to be very light duty so they might look too cheap, and they might not last. On the other hand, not at all expensive at $3 or less for 12 and free shipping in the USA, so maybe worth a punt.

Try searching Amazon.com with the key words "silicone baby corner guard"

These were the specific silicone corner gaurds I was referring to in my post above, to protect my not so young forehead from the sharp corners of a cooker hood. I friend of mine uses the same thing in his restaurant - between the wooden table and the sheet of glass that forms an easy wipe surface on the table top. He finds they are occassionally prone to tearing which might have some bearing on their use of cases.

4755_G.jpg

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. You all have the general idea of what I'm searching for but all of the ones for speaker cabinets are too large for a concertina case. I haven't exhausted all avenues that some of you have suggested since one of the vendors might have smaller ones but I haven't spotted any yet. I'm looking for something about 1.25" / 35 mm on a side. I glued the lining in the bottom half of the case this evening. I've got to line the top yet and get some hinges and latches and a handle. Completion is getting closer. I've shot pictures throughout the process, mostly for me if I ever need to make another one, but I may upload them to the forum for others who are considering building a custom case.

I had looked there also. They have a nice selection of metal corner protectors, but the few plastic ones they offer are too large. One downside of Ohio Travel Bag is that they have a $30 minimum order. I might consider poking around in their catalog for other stuff that might be of use if I needed to make that minimum, but they don't have what I'm looking for.