Rheingold Beer Concertina

Nancy Supkik, a fellow Baltimore concertinist (she plays an Edgely CG), came across this Rheingold Beer ad while doing some research about vintage beer tap handles for one of her customers. Rheingold, a currently defunct American beer once very popular in the NY metropolitan area, had an annual Miss Rheingold contest. This features the 1949 winner: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheingold_Beer#mediaviewer/File:Miss_Rheingold_-_Pat.jpg.

Did the winner actually play the concertina? I'll do some research. Unusual for these ads, she seems to be holding it correctly. Did anyone manufacture a concertina that looked like the one she's holding?

Those members of this forum who are interested in woodworking, beer, and old equipment, might be interested in the Mark Supik & Co. website, MarkSupikCo.com. They make, among other things, custom beer taps and, in addition to modern equipment, use some very old stuff.

Edited by Mike Franch

Nancy Supkik, a fellow Baltimore concertinist (she plays and Edgely CG), came across this Rheingold Beer ad while doing some research about vintage beer tap handles for one of her customers. Rheingold, a currently defunct American beer once very popular in the NY metropolitan area, had an annual Miss Rheingold contest. This features the 1949 winner: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheingold_Beer#mediaviewer/File:Miss_Rheingold_-_Pat.jpg.

Did the winner actually play the concertina? I'll do some research. Unusual for these ads, she seems to be holding it correctly. Did anyone manufacture a concertina that looked like the one she's holding?

Those members of this forum who are interested in woodworking, beer, and old equipment, might be interested in the Mark Supik & Co. website, MarkSupikCo.com. They make, among other things, custom beer taps and, in addition to modern equipment, some very old stuff.

Invite her to our Aug 3 Squeeze In!

Thanks Mike. Even better resolution at

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Miss_Rheingold_-_Pat.jpg

Some fancy ends on that concertina!

Printed off on photo paper, that'll look lovely next to the recent "You can stay but that concertina must go", which is very handsome when framed.

I've seen these ends with some German concertinas of German manufactures...

I figured it was probably a German concertina. I wonder if this was an early post-war import, or something brought over before the war.

I figured it was probably a German concertina. I wonder if this was an early post-war import, or something brought over before the war.

Since it is "Miss Rheingold" playing it the instrument might in fact have been picked up by an army person during the war or in its aftermath, preferably somewhere near the river Rhine... :)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Rheingold, a currently defunct American beer once very popular in the NY metropolitan area

actually its been back since around 2000, it's refreshing, not sweet, it's that extra dry treat, But I'd rather have a Pabst :D

• 2 weeks later...

Did the winner actually play the concertina? I'll do some research.

I just did a little, myself, but came up dry. Apparently the scan was uploaded by someone who calls themself "Motorhed" and who describes the young lady as "my grandmother." But attempts to figure out how to connect with "Motorhed" lead nowhere.

Great work! I just posted a query, asking whether she could play the concertina or if it was just a prop.

Of course, I have to acknowledge that while I can play the concertina, in some fast sessions, mine is just a prop!

Here's a fan page for the young lady - I'd guess it was probably created by a grandchild, if you want to try to get in touch.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Patricia-McElroy-Lozell-Official-Fan-Page/184146234958852

Her personal interests, as listed, don't seem to include any musical endeavors.

Beach, Sunbathing, Helping others, Walking, Bicycle Riding, Eating Healthy, Relaxing, Meditating, Modeling, Photography, Art, Animals, Smiling, and Family

Here's a fan page for the young lady - I'd guess it was probably created by a grandchild, if you want to try to get in touch.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Patricia-McElroy-Lozell-Official-Fan-Page/184146234958852

Her personal interests, as listed, don't seem to include any musical endeavors.

Beach, Sunbathing, Helping others, Walking, Bicycle Riding, Eating Healthy, Relaxing, Meditating, Modeling, Photography, Art, Animals, Smiling, and Family

Indeed. But Ms McElroy-Lozell passed away in 2005 so those aren't her own declarations. I'd list my own grandmother's interests as 'baking Toll House cookies' and 'volunteering at the library' but I imagine in her prime she had quite different things going on.