Theme Of The Month, August 2014: Tunes In '3'

Jim Besser

Well, everyone's posts reminded me I could submit this one. From a concert a while back. Flute, EC, and guitar. Movie music time...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37883905/04%20Somewhere%20My%20Love_Bella%20Notte.mp3

Different and nice. And thanks for the "reminder" that 1) all genres are welcome and 2) submissions don't have to be concertina alone.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another waltz (could be played as Ländler as well I'd guess), very popular here, with words in Low German language:

Dat Du Min Leevsten Büst

I liked that one Wolf. I got the drift of the song even though I only speak just enough German to order a beer :)

There are odd bits that are not unlike the dialect in this part of England.

Daria, this is quite an improvement as to the mood of the tune, and I really like the harmonica-ish flavour of your playing it on the Anglo as emphasised with the nice coda added...

...and thank you for the affirmative feedback regarding my own waltz recording, I really appreciate that and am delighted to have prompted you to redo "your" waltz with this fine result!

Best wishes - Wolf

Thanks Jim and Randy!

I play a custom duet made by family Dipper on which the layout is inspired from the layout of the chromatic button accordion... chromatic scale on three rows and 31 buttons for the right hand. Left hand is a bit more complicated, it is not the "mirror" of the right hand. Three rows and 24 buttons.

Here is the link to photos I had posted on the topic "what our concertinas look like?"

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13942&page=5&do=findComment&comment=156916

It is the baritone on the photos but I recorded the bourrées with the treble.

Jim : I used to write scores with an old version of printmusic (which is the light version of "finale") but I can't open it since the last update of Mac OS. <_<

I will try to note it with abc.

This tune has given me ulcers.

It's not so much that it's in 3/2; it's the fingering, especially in the B part.

On a C/G 30 button Anglo, the fingering in the B part to ensure that successive notes are not played with the same finger is awkward and counterintuitive. I'm so focused on remembering the weird fingering that I feel like I'm rushing the tune, giving it a somewhat frantic feel.

I'd really love to hear what other Anglo players do with this tune.

Here's the version that got me started on this tune last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itgt_AacsCA&index=20&list=LLEmR8dd2uDsIDsB_tXUEUsQ

I have a long way to go to get to where these guys are, for sure!

Edited by Jim Besser

It's not so much that it's in 3/2; it's the fingering, especially in the B part.

On a C/G 30 button Anglo, the fingering in the B part to ensure that successive notes are not played with the same finger is awkward and counterintuitive. I'm so focused on remembering the weird fingering that I feel like I'm rushing the tune, giving it a somewhat frantic feel.

I'd really love to hear what other Anglo players do with this tune.

Here's the version that got me started on this tune last week:

I have a long way to go to get to where these guys are, for sure!

Interesting tune.

Have you an abc and I'll see if I can give it a go.

Geoff

Interesting tune.

Geoff

Here are ABCs from melodeon.net. I'm interested in seeing how other Anglo players approach fingering the B part, in particular.

X:117
T:Sylvia's Serenade
M:3/2
Q:1/2=100
K:C
D2 AG F2 A2 F2 D2|A2 dc B2 e2 ^c2 A2|f4 e4 d4|e2 gf ef ed ^c2 A2|
D2 AG F2 A2 F2 D2|A2 dc B2 e2 ^c2 A2|f4 e4 d4|e2 gf ef ed d4:|
K:F
|:A2 cB A2 c2 A2 F2|Ac fc Ac fc {A}BF|G2 BA G2 B2 G2 E2|F2 AG F2 A2 F2 E2|
f2 ef gf ed ^c2 A2|a3 g f2 e2 .d4|BA GF EF ED D4:|
Edited by Jim Besser

Interesting tune.

Geoff

Here are ABCs from melodeon.net. I'm interested in seeing how other Anglo players approach fingering the B part, in particular.

Thanks. I'll try and take a look at it over the weekend.

Geoff

Risky offering suggestions without knowing what fingerings you're trying that you find "awkward and counterintuitive". Or what you would find less weird, but require button jumping with a finger. I'm not much of anglo player myself, but I suspect that many of the fingerings I find "intuitive", you wouldn't. Still, I have an anglo handy at the moment, and I've been experimenting, so I may report some "results", later.

By the way, in both the trio's video and the ABC you provided, the 1st and 5th measures start out with D2 AG F2, while you seem to be playing D2 FE D2.

Try starting the B part with a left hand pull for the first three bars only reversing to push for the last E of the third bar. That uses all three rows but at least the fingering works -- (results may vary).

A couple of differences from what the trio and you are playing. One is an obvious mistake, since it leaves a measure with one beat too few. The other is a difference of octave. I don't normally use ABC, but I hope this is a "corrected" version:

|:A2 cB A2 c2 A2 F2|Ac fc Ac fc A2 F2|G2 BA G2 B2 G2 E2|F2 AG F2 A2 F2 E2|
F2 EF GF ED ^C2 A,2|a3 g f2 e2 .d4|BA GF EF ED D4:|
Edited by JimLucas