Brand-New Solo Cd From Mary Macnamara

that sample track is one of my favorites, full-stop perhaps one day i will feel i am starting to get where i wish to be with that set from the paddy canny solo cd. would like not too much more time to go by before kissing the ground at shannon.... :ph34r: hope the week is giving you some gifts...

Unaccompanied East Clare concertina on Mary Macnamara's new solo release, "Note for Note"--track clip at link...

http://www.custysmusic.com/product-info.php?pid725.html

This is fantastic news! I'm particularly pleased to see that she is unaccompanied on the entire album. My favorite tracks on her other albums are the ones that feature only her concertina playing. On Jackie Daly's debut album "Music From Sliabh Luachra," he alternated between unaccompanied accordion and unaccompanied concertina. I love it when one instrument is given the opportunity to speak for itself with perfect clarity and wish musicians would fly solo more often (though of course I don't mean to disparage ensemble playing; the interplay of a few talented musicians that are connecting can provide its own kind of excitement).

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought my copy which Mary Launched at the Tocane festival (in the Dordogne).... this is really lovely stuff and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes Irish Music and especially those trying to learn how to play this genre on the Concertina.

Mary Mac has a very elegant style which she holds at a nice handy pace...... and there is no BS written on the cover, which appears to be so de rigeur these days.

The French would refer to this as "La Référence"!

Edited by Geoff Wooff

My copy arrived from Custy's yesterday.

It's a delight! Lovely and understated playing with ornamentation judiciously and tastefully sprinkled in. Her tempos are absolutely steady, and her control of the dynamics is flawless. It's really quite an accomplishment, and it ranks among my favorite Anglo CD's!

[[and there is no BS written on the cover which appears to be so de rigeur these days]]...ha, good one. and so true. yes, "elegant" fits her style very well, also an adjective aptly used regarding Kitty Hayes' style in that nifty little documentary a few years back.....swell-egant...