Whatever Happened To Duet International ?

4 hours ago, Richard Mellish said:

A few weeks ago Alan enquired about copying from cassette. If that's still an issue, let me know. I have a decent 3-head cassette player connected to a decent USB sound interface.

Thank you Richard i think I have solved the immediate problem with Wes Williams help but I have other recordings that may require your assistance .Many thanks for the offer..

Al

On 7/8/2014 at 9:13 AM, Geoff Wooff said:

PS, where's Dirge when we need him ?

He's around ... generally just not posting. As far as I am aware he is aware of this thread by the way.

On 5/15/2019 at 6:07 AM, JimR said:

Is a CD required? An mp3 album would still need releases, etc, but the costs of CD creation could be avoided.

Having been brought into the fold of Maccann players by the splendid Ralph Jordan,Maccann player extraordinaire, and studio engineer and studio manager equally extraordinaire for the BBC, I was educated to understand that sound qualities of mp3 recordings are not as good as CD quality. I rarely purchase mp3 recordings online = CDs every time for me.

There  is a possibility that the recordings could be downloaded in CD format. If some people have technology problems regarding this option (I list myself in that group) we may be able to find a person out there to provide a CD (at cost) to provide this service.

Al

MP3 files can be converted to WAV files, or vice versa.

WAV is the format needed for CD's.

If you burn MP3 files on to a disc, it will not play in a CD player, but it WILL work if played in a DVD player.

51 minutes ago, John Wild said:

MP3 files can be converted to WAV files, or vice versa.

WAV is the format needed for CD's.

Yes, but as they say, you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. MP3 is a “lossy” format. Its advantage is that the file size is compact, but in order to compress down to manageable size, information is lost. This loss is nearly imperceptible to the ear, but cannot be reversed by converting the format to WAV.

Hallo RAC I have been informed that with the help of Paul and Ken I am in control of the recordings situated on the page Duet Recordings (Concertina Videos and Music). It will be possible when many more recordings have come in to lump them all together to form a collection. 

The Maurice Harvey Duet Archive will be posted up in about two weeks which with about twenty tracks including two of the Kensington Concertina Band is a CD on it's own.

If any of you know of a Duet player of ability, we require ideally 2/3 tracks- they can be either solo playing, with other musicians ,providing the concertina is dominant or singing accompaniment.

Thank you all for your interest.

Al

Thanks Richard   -Jim Besser has kindly posted up some recordings of Nick in Duet Recordings where I hope to create this collection. Please have a listen,If your recordings can add to what Jim has posted please let me know.

Al

2 hours ago, Alan Day said:

Jim Besser has kindly posted up some recordings of Nick in Duet Recordings

Is this a publicly available place?  I can't find it here on concertina.net.

Also, I really hope that you get some of Iris Bishop's work in the collection.  I think her stuff is sublime.  I enjoy listening to Martyn Wyndham-Read but I often find myself trying to ignore him in order to hear what Iris is doing.  

4 hours ago, Alan Day said:

Thanks Richard   -Jim Besser has kindly posted up some recordings of Nick in Duet Recordings where I hope to create this collection. Please have a listen,If your recordings can add to what Jim has posted please let me know.

Al

1 hour ago, Don Taylor said:

Is this a publicly available place?  I can't find it here on concertina.net.

See https://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?/topic/21187-duet-recordings/&do=findComment&comment=196786 .

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

I enjoy listening to Martyn Wyndham-Read but I often find myself trying to ignore him in order to hear what Iris is doing.  

I wouldn’t go that far... ?

But I totally agree as to her playing, I have also been able to watch the two of them (or the „entire“ No-Man‘s-Band, i.e. all three members, adding the double bass) several times, and even attend one of her classes (Australian dance tunes, accompanied by „the rhythm guitarist“, as she kept saying).

She‘s a very nice and amiable lady, and an incredibly empathetic and self-restraining accompanist, but of course well worth listening to as a solo performer too. A Duet collection without including some recordings of her playing would be an impossible thing IMO - but I reckon that’s obvious to all involved...

All the best - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
improved recollection :D

When I lived in Crawley in Sussex a young lady knocked on my door and said that I understand you know all about concertinas .I have just purchased one what is it. It was Iris and she had just purchased a Duet. In no time at all people were raving about her playing.and have done so ever since. I have been in touch with Iris and hopefully she will be sending in some tracks.

Al 

• Like 1

I wonder if anyone can help me .I have an old recording on cassette from a Dave Townsend ,concertina weekend  Of I think Jean Megly playing a Russian Tune. There is a lot of laughter on the recording so I suspect it is him , Was this recording on the ICA selection of him playing .If not I will get it posted on the Duet recordings page,

Al