Whatever Happened To Duet International ?

Bummer. Those recordings were professionally produced in a recording studio at some expense (yes, kindly reimbursed by Graham) by a recording engineer who is sadly no longer with us. It is not likely that I will be able to duplicate the effort with comparable recording quality. In any case, now 12 years later, it is likely I might choose to record a different selection of tunes.

I do still have copies of the CDs (not just the final versions I mailed to the UK, but the raw unedited recording sessions as well). But if my freedom to make them public is, as you say, not clear, I will keep them under wraps.

My YouTube channel was created back in the days (2013) of the Tune of the Month series here on concertina.net. I have added to it only sporadically since. I suppose the thing to do is get back into the habit of adding to it regularly, perhaps starting with some of the tunes included in the recording project we’ve been discussing. They won’t be CD-quality sound (I’ve been making the videos with the camera and microphone built into my MacBook), but they should be a reasonable documentation of how I play the Hayden Duet concertina.

Edited to add:

2 hours ago, Alan Day said:

I have lost contact with Graham ,probably because I kept on to him about Duet Int. There are some rare recordings involved.A contact Email would be appreciated if anyone has it.

The email we were using back then for Graham Bradshaw was graham.bradshaw1 [at] ntlworld [dot] com

Edited by David Barnert

There may be a possibility of getting either permission or the original recordings back. Leave it with me to sort out one way or the other. A temporary couple of recordings may be worth putting in which could later be taken out as an option.

Al

1 minute ago, Alan Day said:

A temporary couple of recordings may be worth putting in which could later be taken out as an option.

Sorry. Not sure what you’re saying here.

Also, making sure you saw my edit, above, with Graham’s email (it wouldn’t have been in the email version of the post, if you get those).

1 hour ago, Alan Day said:

There may be a possibility of getting either permission or the original recordings back. Leave it with me to sort out one way or the other.

With the original recordings and permission from Graham, might it be possible for someone other than Graham to issue "Duet International"?  I'm particularly thinking of using CDBaby, which I understand does on demand "printing" and therefore does not need a large initial outlay of funds.

I don't really know the details of how it works, but I believe Jody Kruskal uses (or at least has used) them, so maybe he'd be kind enough to advise us?

On 5/15/2019 at 2:22 PM, David Barnert said:

Everyone knows what a CD is, what to expect from one, the role it plays in one’s life, what it means to be on one.

On 5/15/2019 at 3:17 PM, Dee746 said:

RE your comments about CDs -  It's interesting.  My CDs are still my favorite listening medium,  but youtube and internet streaming are now a regular part of my listening experience.  However, my 20 and 30 something nephews and nieces, all of whom play musical instruments, one of whom was a theater major and now is a full time actor in the actor's union, all get a glazed look on their face and change the subject when I ask if they'd like a CD for a Christmas gift (I've learned to buy itunes credit cards instead).

So here’s an article in today’s New York Times, an interview with Ben Sisario, one of their reporters who covers the music industry, discussing the tech he’s using. A couple of excerpts:

I try to keep an eye on all the major platforms out there, which means regularly poking around on about a dozen apps.

[  • • • ]

To be honest, my preferred way to listen to music is on CD, as unfashionable as that might be. You push a button, the music plays, and then it’s over — no ads, no privacy terrors, no algorithms!

15techusing5-superJumbo.jpg

38 minutes ago, David Barnert said:

So here’s an article in today’s New York Times, an interview with Ben Sisario, one of their reporters who covers the music industry, discussing the tech he’s using. A couple of excerpts:

[  • • • ]

39 minutes ago, David Barnert said:

[  • • • ]

Great article David! Very relevant to the discussion.

Also right on target re the pluses and minuses of various media and the different comments/preferences we've all expressed. Each has it's use, each has it's place.  

Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the discussion on this point. Nice to hear from you Jim. 

I wonder if we could investigate the possibility, if we get a successful collection together, of going down two routes of Down loads and CDs my only concern is that the amount of recordings will far exceed the three CD set collection that we issued on Anglo and English. Graham was good at strictly keeping the recordings to a maximum of three per player usually two so nobody (no matter how good) dominated the collection.There is no such restrictions here as we invite players to send in recordings ,but I do like the three max idea. Who makes the final decision on selection at this stage I prefer to leave until the time comes and we can make a group decision then. There is of course no restriction if the CD option is removed.

12 hours ago, Alan Day said:

...my only concern is that the amount of recordings will far exceed the three CD set collection that we issued on Anglo and English.

I was actually thinking that Graham's original selections for a 3-CD set via CD Baby would be a good starting point.  I've just checked, and they also have a download option, so that might be a great option for covering both platforms at once.

Gathering, selecting, and editing possible tracks for one or more separate "new" collections/issues could then be done independently, without delaying the release (with Graham's permission) of the "original" Duet International.

I have some good news.I have found the CD of Morris Harvey and two tracks of the Kensington Concertina band which he was a member of. The CD has about 20 tracks.I consider that Maurice even though he was in his early teens was one of the finest Duet concertina players  I have heard. I got these recordings free and I will post them free in total here and on the ICA page. I could take out two or three but in my opinion why not give you the lot.

I need someone who can take them off a CD and post them ideally UK.

Al 

Wes Williams has agreed to post up the Maurice Harvey archives

.I have this week got promises of recordings from Matt Quinn ,Rob Neal, Charlotte Oliver  .Gavin and Julie Atkin and Mike Acott   a pleasing start to this project. 

I invite other players of the Duet on this site to consider posting between two to three tracks. These can be solo playing ,with other musicians providing the concertina is dominant, played with vocals ,yours or other(s)

.if you are not sure of your standard please discuss in confidence.

There is no money involved we are providing future or existing players of the Duet with music to listen to.

Thank you for your interest.

Al

Edited by Alan Day

This is wonderful.  As a brand new Duet player (as in can't play yet, but working on it), thank-you everyone  for donating your time and talent.   And Al, thanks especially to you for making this happen!

• Like 1

Hello all.  I too am a new duet player and am looking forward to whatever comes of this.  Earlier in the thread there was an effort to collect links to existing duet recordings.  I searched through the forum and couldn't find mention of this excellent collection from Lesley Henniker performing David Cornell arrangements:

https://soundcloud.com/user-655309308

-George

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dabbler said:

Hello all.  I too am a new duet player and am looking forward to whatever comes of this.  Earlier in the thread there was an effort to collect links to existing duet recordings.  I searched through the forum and couldn't find mention of this excellent collection from Lesley Henniker performing David Cornell arrangements:

-George

Hi George - I'm also brand new to the duet. Thanks for posting this.  Nice to have these recordings by Lesley Henniker to go along with David Cornell's arrangements.  Older players may know about this next one, but since it was posted in 2016, I'll repeat it here. Jon Boden did a series of free recordings on spotify called "folk song a day".  Not all of them were concertina recordings.  But concertina.net member Gaspar put together a list of his concertina recordings at https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5UyXEomoAvtL0ZTZ46SWn3 .  Boden plays the duet concertina and often uses it to accompany his singing. As for what type,  in a 2016 post, Dave Elliott said the following : "In 2009 I did work on two Duets for Jon, both were Lachenal, a 46k Rosewood ended, and a 64k Metal ended."  

Edited by Dee746
  • Thanks 1

I have a number of recordings of Lesley and thanks for posting this one. I am waiting for her friend or Leslie who recorded a number of tunes (including the wonderful Teddy Bears Picnic) and sadly those recordings I do not have but Lesley will be included ,a lovely lady and player.Thanks Also for Jon another name on my list. All these recording will be put together so we finish up with a collection.

Al

On 5/28/2019 at 12:25 PM, dabbler said:

...this excellent collection from Lesley Henniker performing David Cornell arrangements:

I have heard that David Cornell died recently. I have no other information except that he had been suffering for many years with Parkinson’s. I had not been in touch with him since shortly after he moved from New Jersey to Tucson.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, David Barnert said:

I have heard that David Cornell died recently. I have no other information except that he had been suffering for many years with Parkinson’s. I had not been in touch with him since shortly after he moved from New Jersey to Tucson.

This was posted on Facebook by the International Concertina Association today:

Sad news to hear that David Cornell also has passed away last week after a long illness. He was an excellent musician, orginally opera singer en look here for lots of his work for Duet concertina: 
http://www.concertina.com/cornell/
http://www.concertina.org/sound-archive/

I remember his performances at the Northeast Squeeze In; he was an amazing performer..