Whatever Happened To Duet International ?

I think that's a great idea.   I realize there may be contracts, permissions etc involved here that would prevent that from happening, and that there may be legal issues involved we are unaware of.

But if this is not the case,  I'm betting  that among us there are enough people with the necessary computer expertise and if necessary sound editing computer software and experience to assist with that sort of thing if it is a possibility.

CDs used to be the only and best way to share this sort of thing.  But there are now other less expensive possibilities available, and other people who I'm assuming would be willing to pitch in to make this happen if it's legally possible.  Alan Day has already done more than his fair share of bringing concertina music to the community.

On 5/12/2019 at 2:56 PM, Dee746 said:

Thanks for responding Daniel.  What types of music do you play on your duet?  And as a new duet learner hungrily searching for arrangements to listen too, I heartily encourage you post some of your recordings...

I listened to the recordings I submitted for Duet Intl and liked one of them well enough to share it with you.  I'll send you a private message with the URL.

11 hours ago, Irene S. said:

The actual matter of recording would involve a heavy outlay, and Amazon would take a cut of sales. I get the impression from what he has said that the opinion may have been that the Duet International recording costs would not be covered by sales, which was the main reason for things not going ahead.

But the recording has largely been done. I was reimbursed for my recording costs over a decade ago.

On 5/12/2019 at 5:56 PM, Dee746 said:

And as a new duet learner hungrily searching for arrangements to listen too, I heartily encourage you post some of your recordings...

Listen to other people’s arrangements for inspiration, but I would suggest not trying to learn them note by note. Instead, learn to think on your feet: to play a melody with your right hand and improvise an accompaniment with your left. My left-hand accompaniments tend to be a combination of simple “oom-pah” (sometimes omitting the 3rd if it’s in the melody) and parallel 10ths (octave+3rd) below the melody.

Edited by David Barnert
typo

11 hours ago, Irene S. said:

Have spoken to Al, who has lost his password on Cnet apparently. To precis what he said, he had spent two years "putting Duet International together, sent all the recordings to Graham, and that is where they stayed." ... Any requests to re record were not his decision but Graham's on the whole. The actual matter of recording would involve a heavy outlay, and Amazon would take a cut of sales. I get the impression from what he has said that the opinion may have been that the Duet International recording costs would not be covered by sales, which was the main reason for things not going ahead. I personally am still very disappointed by this, as I know there were some interesting recordings in there ... I suppose we can still hope but after all this time ......

Al has said that when he retrieves access to the members' part of the site he will respond,

Thank you Irene and all of you that have enjoyed Anglo and English Internationals. They all took about two years hard work to put together plus another two years approx for Duet.I am very sorry that Duet never made it as you can all understand ,it was not my decision and purely Graham's but understandable if you look at the direction music was taking at that time.Amazon, Spotify and similar were changing the market.This was a three CD set compilation of artists provided with a booklet with information on all artists,who were paid by free copies and heavily discounted copies for them to resell. Anglo and English Int's as far as I know paid for themselves all artists became recognised if they were not already. There were some great old tracks that were improved by computer ,but all at a cost..I found and provided the recordings and other artists had their expenses paid by Grahamin most cases, for recordings. Some of the Duet recordings were paid for by Graham so they were his property. Some artists have reissued their recordings on CDs later to represent their work . We worked a system that Graham had the final choice on the recordings to be used ,my job was to get them organised and report back. All recordings and artists information was treated as strictly confidential .If an artists playing did not reach the required standard then the information was not disclosed then or nowThe recordings were up against the players who I considered at the time were of interest in style of play not necessarily their ability.

I have a list of the artists that I considered using ,which were far more than required for even a three CD set. I will find that list and publish it. Together there is a chance that we can put something together between us ,but if we do I would really like to do this free and nobody make money out of it. If anyone has a facility to copy from a cassette please let me know..

Thank you once again for all your comments and let us see what we can do .

Al

• Like 1

There have been a few replies to this discussion since I wrote this last night, but it looks as if we are thinking along the same lines.

Out of interest my payment for Anglo and English were the same as the artists in Cds I have never received, or requested payment for the work involved.

Al

3 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Good to see you back, Alan. And thanks for filling in the information.

Thanks David nice to be back..

How do you feel about a page here dedicated to Duet playing (including some of yours) ?  It would be an open recording page with no supervision except for the usual by ken, It would be more comprehensive than Duet Int as unlimited recordings could be posted by an artist without any individual track selection. Your views and others would be appreciated.

John Wild has kindly offered to transfer cassette tapes so old recordings can be reproduced.

I have found my list of artists which I will post later.

al

16 hours ago, Irene S. said:

Have spoken to Al, who has lost his password on Cnet apparently. To precis what he said, he had spent two years "putting Duet International together, sent all the recordings to Graham, and that is where they stayed." ... Any requests to re record were not his decision but Graham's on the whole. The actual matter of recording would involve a heavy outlay, and Amazon would take a cut of sales. I get the impression from what he has said that the opinion may have been that the Duet International recording costs would not be covered by sales, which was the main reason for things not going ahead. I personally am still very disappointed by this, as I know there were some interesting recordings in there ... I suppose we can still hope but after all this time ......

Al has said that when he retrieves access to the members' part of the site he will respond,

Thank you Irene and all of you that have enjoyed Anglo and English Internationals. They all took about two years hard work to put together plus another two years approx for Duet.I am very sorry that Duet never made it as you can all understand ,it was not my decision and purely Graham's but understandable if you look at the direction music was taking at that time.Amazon, Spotify and similar were changing the market.This was a three CD set compilation of artists provided with a booklet with information on all artists,who were paid by free copies and heavily discounted copies for them to resell. Anglo and English Int's as far as I know paid for themselves all artists became recognised if they were not already. There were some great old tracks that were improved by computer ,but all at a cost..I found and provided the recordings and other artists had their expenses paid by Grahamin most cases, for recordings. Some of the Duet recordings were paid for by Graham so they were his property. Some artists have reissued their recordings on CDs later to represent their work . We worked a system that Graham had the final choice on the recordings to be used ,my job was to get them organised and report back. All recordings and artists information was treated as strictly confidential .If an artists playing did not reach the required standard then the information was not disclosed then or nowThe recordings were up against the players who I considered at the time were of interest in style of play not necessarily their ability.

I have a list of the artists that I considered using ,which were far more than required for even a three CD set. I will find that list and publish it. Together there is a chance that we can put something together between us ,but if we do I would really like to do this free and nobody make money out of it. If anyone has a facility to copy from a cassette please let me know..

Al

1 hour ago, Alan Day said:

How do you feel about a page here dedicated to Duet playing (including some of yours) ?  It would be an open recording page with no supervision except for the usual by ken, It would be more comprehensive than Duet Int as unlimited recordings could be posted by an artist without any individual track selection. Your views and others would be appreciated.

We could certainly look this possibility. If the recordings are posted elsewhere with links it is just a matter of admin tasks, which I am happy to do. Posting files here would of course be more stable, but we'd have to consult Paul about server space.

Ken

Thanks David nice to be back..

Alan - As a brand new duet player I think that's a fantastic idea!  From the perspective of a newbie, I know that when possible, including some info on the concertina being played - name as well as the duet system (eg Hayden, Maccann, Crane etc) and number of buttons would be helpful to give me a sense of what is possible arrangement wise with the different types of Duet concertinas being played. I know it may not always be possible - but a gal can dream...  I'm home on medical leave right now, but improving and am now in good enough shape to spend some time on my computer. So if I can help out in any way, please let me know.  I had already started wading my way through old forums and youtube videos to find examples of duet recordings.  And many people on the site have been kind enough to point me in the direction of the recordings they have online.

2 hours ago, Alan Day said:

Wonderful!  I'm located in the US (Buffalo, NY) so mailing would be involved.  However, we have the equipment and software necessary to turn old cassettes into listenable CDs (that can to be played on a CD player, not just a computer) or mp3/wav recordings for posting on the internet.  My husband is great at it, and would be happy to help out (especially if you include a few jazz recordings to sweeten the deal - it's his favorite form of music...).  We have a reunion coming up next month of the college choral group we sang in (and where we met) made in 1974 on a cheap boombox using one of the cheapest cassettes available at the time. Just last week, in preparation for the reunion, my husband bought some new software and turned the cassette recording of our 1974 spring concert into a CD for reunion attendees.  Much to our amazement, it is very listenable.  And the CD sounds better than the cassette did.  The software he has is able to turn the music into any format necessary for either playable CDs or posting on soundcloud, etc.   I don't know how many cassettes you have, but  if John Wild needs some help, let me know.  I'd be happy to pay for fed ex insured mailing to make sure any cassettes you sent made it here safely.  As well as sending them back once they are recorded (My absolute promise on that!)  And I'm able to handle posting sound files on computer websites.

I agree completely that this should be a free resource.  Thank-you so much!

Dee746,    AKA   Diane Cookfair of Buffalo, NY

8 hours ago, Daniel Hersh said:

I listened to the recordings I submitted for Duet Intl and liked one of them well enough to share it with you.  I'll send you a private message with the URL.

Thanks so much Daniel.  That would be fantastic!

The list for Duet was as follows with some names not included but not intentionally (senility probably)

Hidetoshi Yamashita Japan (playing a lovely tune from Japan)

Ralphie Jordon (since been released on Eloise)

Leslie Heneker

Silvia Needham

Iris Bishop

Gilbert Carriere  France (recordings from his Website)

Gavin and Julie

David CornellUSA

Mike Hibbert

John Morgan

Bob Webb

Tim Laycock

David Bernert    USA

Marien Lina Belgium

Geoff Lakeman

Robert Dawson Archive

Harry Litherland Archive

Pam Bishop

Jeff Lefferts

Bill Whaley

Richard Evans Australia

Alexander Prince   Archive

Jon Boden

Nick Robertshaw  Archive

Charlotte Oliver

Plymouth Citadel Concertina Band

Maurice Harvey Archive

Nico Langurlot   South Africa Archive CD recordings

If you have any recordings of these artists please let me know .Please do not post any if the artist is alive and has not granted permission.

I suggest a separate topic Duet Recordings . In addition to the above names many excellent players are now available and I know of at least three I shall ask to submit their work.

Ta Al.

Edited by Alan Day

10 hours ago, Little John said:

If you're really starving, you'll find quite a few of my efforts here.

LJ

Thanks Little John! Your playing is beautiful.

Edited by Dee746

2 hours ago, Dee746 said:

Thanks so much Daniel.  That would be fantastic!

Private c.net message sent to you a while back - let me know if you didn't get it.

A few more places for you to find recordings that haven't already been mentioned: 

Got your message.  Thanks for all these great links.  The more I listen, the more ideas I get for how and what I can do with my new duet once I make some progress with my playing!

I suggest a separate topic Duet Recordings . In addition to the above names many excellent players are now available and I know of at least three I shall ask to submit their work.

If this winds up becoming a new discussion forum, I would suggest having a pinned post at the top for permanent links to the the home pages of duet players (on Soundcloud, YouTube, etc.) and to other places where collections of duet recordings can be found (such as the Jean Megly recordings on the ICA site and the collection of links on craneconcertina.com).  I would be willing to create and maintain such a post - I'm already doing roughly that sort of of thing with the Current Makes pinned post on the General Concertina Discussion forum.

A single topic would be easier to create than a new forum and could be done anytime, but it could become pretty unwieldy as the comments piled up.

• Like 3

The list for Duet was as follows with some names not included but not intentionally (senility probably)

Hidetoshi Yamashita Japan (playing a lovely tune from Japan)

Ralphie Jordon (since been released on Eloise)

Leslie Heneker

Silvia Needham

Iris Bishop

Gilbert Carriere  France (recordings from his Website)

Gavin and Julie

David CornellUSA

Mike Hibbert

John Morgan

Bob Webb

Tim Laycock

David Bernert    USA

Marien Lina Belgium

Geoff Lakeman

Robert Dawson Archive

Harry Litherland Archive

Pam Bishop

Jeff Lefferts

Bill Whaley

Richard Evans Australia

Alexander Prince   Archive

Jon Boden

Nick Robertshaw  Archive

Charlotte Oliver

Plymouth Citadel Concertina Band

Maurice Harvey Archive

Nico Langurlot   South Africa Archive CD recordings

If you have any recordings of these artists please let me know .Please do not post any if the artist is alive and has not granted permission.

Ta Al.

Hmm ... Al, I think you had better get your pen and paper ready to write some lines out for the teacher (private joke)

Quite a few mis-spellings in that list!

For Ralphie Jordon, read Ralphie (or rather Ralph) Jordan
For Silvia Needham, read Sylvia Needham
Re Gilbert Carriere, sadly I think his website is no longer to be found (I seem to remember listening to some of those online quite a few years ago, then looking for them, and finding them gone! ? )
Gavin and Julie are Gavin and Julie Atkin
For Mike Hibbert - read Mike Hebbert

As for the rest, for all I know they are OK ?  ?