Whatever Happened To Duet International ?

[This is part of a larger post on the popularity of different systems; I was typing it as the new thread was being created! I've moved my post, but left a copy of the Duet International part of it here.]

Duet International can play a Big Role in boosting popularity of the duet, and increasing market for Haydens and encouraging new models:

There is still a relative dearth of material to inspire, teach, and support new Hayden players (... much less new Maccann players) as compared with anglo and English where huge volumes of recordings (by old and new artists) are widely available, and a wide selection of books for beginners and intermediate players as well. Even as more and more individual artists release new recordings of their own playing, Duet International would be THE recommended purchase for any brand-new duet concertina player, if they want to hear and be inspired by the full *breadth* of potential for their new instrument ... and to prove to them that despite the paucity of books and CDs on the shelf for their instrument, it *does* indeed have both a history and bevy of great current players. A smaller bevy, to be sure, than anglos and Englishes have; but Duet International, better than any other recording I'm aware of, would showcase their number and variety.

Increasing the number of duet concertina players will create in time a larger used market of starter and mid-range Haydens; and may also inspire other makers to do as Concertina Connection and R.Morse & Co have recently done -- create solid Hayden models for players who want to advance beyond the Elise or Stagi. Knowing a market exists encourages makers to bear the significant up-front costs of time and money that need to be devoted to research-and-design for a product very unlike the anglo or English models they may already produce.

That's why we NEED Duet International!

Edited by wayman

What a wonderful posting Wayman, many thanks.

I have Emailed Graham to let him know about this thread ,but to date he has not replied here, or to me.He is heavily involved at this time of the year providing sound equipment to the major festivals, so that may well be the reason why we have had no response.It is after these festivals that we need Graham to finish off the job.

It is interesting to note that we had far more recordings than we required for three CDs so plenty of choice and variety. It is one of the reasons I am not posting up the artists as some may miss out on Graham's final choice.

Finally I must point out that I have no financial involvement in these Internationals whatsoever.Graham does give me some to sell when they are finished, but that is all.I have some English Internationals if anybody wants to buy one.

Al

Alan, thank you for the great contribution you have made to the entire concertina community through your role in collecting recordings for three massive multi-disc productions. When I switched from melodeon to anglo four years ago (... not coincidentally when I started building concertinas), Anglo International gave me tremendous encouragement, introduced me to many artists I might not otherwise have discovered, opened my eyes to exciting genre possibilities, and has given me some specific pieces to learn by ear and add to my repertoire. I'm a better player for that album's existence, and I daresay a better teacher to my anglo students as well (for having a more holistic understanding of the instrument than I might otherwise have).

And thanks to Graham for his great contribution, likewise: the production quality is top-notch. I hope, in reading this thread, that he not only hears our eagerness for Duet International but also our deep appreciation for Anglo International and English International!

Wayman - hear hear! I have the two previous compilations, despite being neither an Anglo nor an English player, and both were revelations, and in themselves were also inspirational for a putative Duet player. :-)

I'd love to see the duet International project materialize. I'd also love to see Bertram Levy's 2 albums SAGEFLOWER SUITE and especially FIRST GENERATION re-issued on cd. Neither are currently available in digital form, but a few tracks from FIRST GENERATION showed up on the anglo International compilation and they sounded great. Any chance updating Bertram's 2 out of print concertina albums might be a project the International series folks might consider taking on? These 2 albums single-handedly inspired me to take up learning the concertina and I consider FIRST GENERATION to represent the pinnacle of recorded instrumental folk music.

This has been a sad and emotional week,losing a close member of the family.

Thank you Wayman and Irene for your comments,I go to bed a much happier man.

Al

Condolences on your loss, Alan, and thanks for your continued involvement in the concertina community.

marien, for example, could do a whole recording of eastern european or eastern european-ish, and eastern-european-tango-ish, offerings on that big crane...ha, that "monkey island" theme fits right in there....if i get along well enough on duet, this is what i would like to do, my duet interest running to the dance-based instrumental world folk genres of the modal-minorish strains...

Edited by ceemonster

My apologies for deviating from the main topic, but I am just back from a day of dance with Kettle Bridge Clogs at the Kent County show.

I felt compelled to post his photo.

post-160-0-24603200-1405285130_thumb.jpg

:-)

- Best wishes Alan

Detling Show Ground

Day aggrigates

Alan Day Merc Dealer

If only

Thanks John

Al :D

Do you see my "Fat Controller" Van.

(Thomas the Tank Engine Character)