Map Of Button Layout Of Tenor Treble?

I'm awaiting the arrival of the 56 button Lachenal Edeophone tenor-treble I just bought. In looking around, I haven't spotted a button chart for a tenor-treble. I spotted an extended treble layout in a Wheatstone publication, but not for a tenor treble. Does anyone know where there's a chart for a 56 button tenor treble? Ideally it would show the low notes in the bass clef. I'm looking forward to being able to play my viola music with the concertina, although I'll have to make up my own button chart for the alto clef.

Thank you. That was a real help. Your work to compose the summary of the different English layouts in the download link you gave was a real labor of love. I could not find that using the search terms I used, but hopefully now others will find it more easily. Thanks again for pointing me to that discussion and thanks for taking the time to compose such a nice document.

I'm looking forward to being able to play my viola music with the concertina, although I'll have to make up my own button chart for the alto clef.

Conceptually, it shouldn't be too hard, if you understand the origin of the alto clef. All you need is one of the other layouts (treble clef with ledger lines, or treble-bass double stave), a straightedge, pen or pencil, and some whiteout.

With the double clef, middle-C should be half way between the two clefs, and it's also the center line of the alto clef, so make it a line extending all the way across, then use whiteout to eliminate those parts of the two highest lines in the treble clef and the two lowest lines in the bass clef that don't pass through actual notes, leaving just enough on either side of the actual notes to form ledger lines.

If starting with a treble clef and ledger lines below, draw the line for middle-C all the way across, then do the same for the A and F below, then do the whiteout thing on the two highest lines of the treble clef. Voila... viola (clef)! :)

Edited to add: Right! Best to use this technique on a printout, not on your screen. :D

Edited by JimLucas

.....yeah, that's the problem I've come across. I am rather written music dependent. I thought I was being a sly fox and I'd translate some of my favorite tunes to the bass clef to aid my learning curve in learning the fingerings for that lower octive. Unfortunately, all the converters I've used will only translate to one clef, so you have a bass clef with many extra lines above or the treble with many lines below. My aged brain would like a normal music staff with both clefs so it wouldn't have to do so much translating. I'm concentrating on trying to learn the fingering of that bass clef -- at the moment, in my learning curve, multi-tasking to translate and finger is one too many tasks! I'm hoping to have time to do such full staff transcriptions on my own----WITH RETIREMENT LOOMING IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS. yipeeeee. I love the versitility of having more lower octive notes. I just need to learn to utilize more. I'm still playing mostly music for the normal treble. I do also have a whole series of bassoon tutors to help with fingering practice (all in bass clef notation only)--but real music with full staff notations I have not found. Some of my old piano books....that is about it. I guess I'd better check out at a full service music store for some viola music books! I'd like to expand my music horizons beyond the Irish and Folk music mostly available.

PS hope you will post a pic of your "baby" most sincerly!

I have some photos the seller provided. Notice that it has bowing valves. My impression from searching the forums is that people usually just use them for an air valve. I thought about posting a message about bowing valves to see if anyone actually uses them when playing.

post-10117-0-95906200-1403056187_thumb.jpg

post-10117-0-86541800-1403056195_thumb.jpg

post-10117-0-65364700-1403056203_thumb.jpg

Most likely a splendid instrument, congrats!

As to the bowing valves, I've found out that they might not allow my technique of having the thumbs all through the straps... Thus I would have to remove them...

Best wishes - Wolf

Yes, it's coming from Australia. I should have it by early next week. Since my current Lachenal has never been professionally restored, it will be interesting to experience the contrast in playability with one that's been properly set up. I'll hang onto the old one at least for awhile. It's possible the Edeophone may be too loud for routine home playing. I wanted a louder instrument for jam playing, and had been considering a Wheatstone 21 that Greg Jowaisas had just completed restoring, but the Edeophone had the appeal of being a tenor-treble and being able to play my viola music, and the tenor line of hymns. That plus new 7 fold bellows on the Edeophone was enough to push me into stretching for the higher end instrument. I am otherwise pretty frugal. It has brass reed shoes rather than the aluminum ones that some Edeophones have. I hope to create a bass clef and viola/alto clef button chart similar to the one in the front of the Butler book. If I can make it look good, I'll post it here.

• 2 months later...

As promised I've made a button chart for the Bass clef and for the Alto / Viola clef. Thanks again to Geoffrey Crabb for the original button chart for a 56 key tenor treble. I've borrowed the circled notes from his chart to make the charts I created for myself and am now sharing with the group.

post-10117-0-75986200-1408757512_thumb.jpg

post-10117-0-26624500-1408757526_thumb.jpg

The Edeophone is a marked improvement over the lower end Lachenal I began with. It's also been nice to have the lower notes. I'm going to the Squeeze In / NESI in Sept, and it will be interesting to hear and hopefully play other concertinas. I'll have a better educated opinion after that. I've never played a Wheatstone, nor put two instruments (other than my two) side by side and listened to them. I'm looking forward to that at NESI.