Lachenal On Ebay - Metal Ends G/d

sheenapowell1966

Based on recent prices, you'll be lucky to get it for less than 1.5k. Those prices are for C/G. I suspect that a G/D will be more sought after. If you look at Barleycorn's web page, you would guess around 1.5 to 2k but my experience is that these prices are somewhat out of date (i.e. low)

Edited to add: These are usually good beginner instruments (I have a wooden ended one) and will serve well for experienced players too. This one appears to need little or no work, although on ebay it's always your risk. Your alternative would be to look at the new Edgleys, Morses etc although, at worst, these old Lachenals are an appreciating asset.

Edited by Paul Read

I must admit the thought of bidding on this box crossed my mind, but then I thought no! Four G/Ds is enough for any man, I'm just being greedy. You can never be sure with ebay of course, but it looks potentially quite a nice instrument. With G/D boxes now comparable in prices with C/Gs, I'd have to agree with Paul that this will be closer to 1.5k pounds than 1k. Still, we shall see. This will be an interesting one to watch for clues to the direction the market is taking.

Chris

Hi Again,

Many thanks for your comments. I see the anglo is above £1,200 already but that the top bidder has no feedback - does that mean it might be a scam of some sort - on the part of the bidder that is.

Love Sheena

Hi Sheena,

I was thinking about bidding on this, too, until I saw all the zero-feedback bidders. It could be new bidders, or like you say, something fishy might be going on. (Could be unconnected to the seller, too).

-Andy

Hi,

It's me who's selling this instrument it's 100% genuine. If anyone wants to know more email please email me c4miles@hotmail.com. I am a C. Jeffries C/G anglo player and have been since 1974!! I had an old 32key wooden ended Lachenal before that. I bought the G/D ages ago from a friend who gave up trying to master the instrument - I thought it would be nice to have an alternative box - but it never gets played these days so I thought it best to sell. I reckon it's worth £1,500 but like Sheena am a bit worried about these first time buyers bidding!!

I often log on here and read the stuff which I find very interesting and enjoyable but have never got round to registering until recently.

So if anyone wants to make an offer on here I'd rather do a deal at £1,500 and donate to the site.

Cheers!

So if anyone wants to make an offer on here I'd rather do a deal at £1,500 and donate to the site.

Nice thought, but do eBay rules allow you to do that, once bidding has started? At least one of those bids seems real, coming from a frequent bidder on concertinas.

I . . . am a bit worried about these first time buyers bidding!!

So you should be, the high bidder "paulowode" is bidding on no less than 139 items (click on link), mainly pianos and keyboards, but including several accordions and concertinas.

I would suggest that you add the wording "New bidders with 0 feedback must contact the seller." to your listing, so that you can confirm their contact information and approve them. Also, do you know that there is a "Pre-approve Buyers" facility that you can use to reject unwelcome bids ?

For each of your listings individually, you can create a list of pre-approved buyers who may bid on that item or purchase it with Buy It Now.

Here's how it works:

Each pre-approved list specifies the eBay members who can bid on your item or purchase it with Buy It Now.

Members not on the list must email you for approval before they can bid on your item.

Each pre-approved list only applies to one item, so you can restrict bidding or buying on one of your listings without changing the others.

You can add and delete pre-approved bidders/buyers until your listing ends.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You will certainly be able to sell your instrument to a legitimate buyer/bidder either on ebay or here.

As the seller you hold all the cards. Under no circumstances consider shipping the instrument until funds have been received and *cleared* into your bank account. Wait for clearance even on money orders and cashiers/bank cheques. Forgeries do exist.

If the high bidder doesn't end up being legitimate contact the next highest bidder and negotiate a relisting, with a "Buy It Now" price at his/her highest bid.

Hi yet again,

The saga continues. The new bidder's bid which was over £4k!!!!!! has now been removed. I'm afraid that I don't understand how or why this was done - if anyone more experienced can help me understand how this happened please let me know!

I have contacted the other person who was next highest and they are still interested - in fact he seems a very nice bloke with loads of positive feedback.

So I guess the auction is back on - I do hope this has a happy ending!

many thanks again to everyone for their help on this,

Best wishes

So I guess the auction is back on - I do hope this has a happy ending!

many thanks again to everyone for their help on this,

Best wishes

This stuff is frustrating. These fake high bidders do nothing but hurt the seller, since during periods in which a high bid stands, potential buyers might browse the auction only once, then opt not to return to it due to the high bid (which will be removed later). A couple months ago, I was selling a very old button accordion on eBay -- I kept getting bids from a zero feedback bidder (when my item description indicated that I wouldn't sell to zero-feedback bidders unless they contacted me for permission to bid). The guy kept bidding, even though I removed his bids, contacting him over and over again to ask him to cease bidding until he identified himself to me. It was a really frustrating experience, and EBay did nothing to help. It's good to see that they've added features to preapprove bidders (?).

FWIW, I've contacted this seller, who replied promptly to my emails and send more pics of the instrument.

-Andy

Hi everyone,

I have no idea what happened here I had another rogue bidder which I cancelled and the top bid went down from £1200 to £500, I tried to withdraw the item and put it on again but couldnt cos there was less than 12 hours to go.

Anyway it seems that a well known dealer has purchased the item for about £300 less than value. I wonder what the instrument would have made without the rogue bidders.

My view is that everyone should think very carefully before putting a concertina on ebay.

I'm just sorry Sheena didn't get it.

Take care folks and may thanks for your support.