Button Box "esb" Anglo Baritone: A First Look

Had a chance this weekend to give the Buttonbox's prototype Anglo baritone a pretty extensive test drive.

Although I have and use hybrids, I prefer the sound of traditional reeds, which is all the more reason I was really impressed with this instrument.

Somehow they've largely conquered the problem of low reeds responding slowly. There's still a slight delay on some of the notes, but it is barely noticeable and does not impede playing. When I switch from my Jeffries G/D to my Morse G/D I have to adjust my playing to compensate; I didn't have to do that at all with the ESB (I'm guessing this is not the permanent name, but what do I know?)

The sound is sublime. Experienced players will recognize these as accordion reeds, but personally, I didn't care; the sound was unique and quite wonderful. Again by comparison: it was less accordionish than my G/D hybrid. The low notes were richly organ like.

The other surprise: this instrument is light and easy to play. The action is just the same as the regular Morse hybrids.

I thought I wasn't in the market for any new concertinas, especially hybrids; this puppy might just change that. They're building C/Gs and D/As. These instruments may be useful for some in accompanying singing. It's not a Morris instrument; the low register doesn't cut thru noise like the regular C/G. But I see intriguing possibilities for using this in various bands and for solo playing.

A hearty 'well done' to Doug, Will and the rest of the BB team.

Edited by Jim Besser

Extra Strong baritone?

In my professional life ESB is an Enterprise Service Bus, but I'm guessing Morse haven't branched out into software architecture ...

I've got a Morse Geordie EC baritone and that is a really lovely box, so the ESB should be really nice for those of an anglo persuasion.

All of the various Morse boxes are named after members of the Morse family, so maybe it's Endeavour Morse who's being honoured this time!

Although I have and use hybrids, I prefer the sound of traditional reeds, which is all the more reason I was really impressed with this instrument.

Experienced players will recognize these as accordion reeds, but personally, I didn't care;

Judging by Jim's response, it could well be Even Sceptics Believe

Further suggestions for what ESB might stand for are welcome (and amusing!), but the official answer is "extra special baritone" and the inspiration for the name was indeed my drink of choice when singing in the pub -- a great place to play an anglo baritone.

You can hear Jody Kruskal play some tunes and sing some songs with the Morse ESB prototype here: http://www.buttonbox.com/framepage.html?var1=http://www.buttonbox.com/ESB-preview.html (The fourth sound clip is my favorite!)

We expect to start taking orders later this summer. At the above link, you can also join an announcement list for ESB information.

Thanks Jim

I have been thinking about a baritone for accompanying singing. I don't really use a low vamp much but might be persuaded, the recordings of Jody are nice. If I sing in C I like bits on the right side to highlight the song as my singing voice is in the left hand range on a tenor treble C/G Anglo. Any more song recordings with an ESB in C/G or D/A welcomed