Concertina In A Starring Role, Sort Of...

Picked up the new phone books on the front porch recently and as one does, had a good look at the picture on the front. Nice scene, a group on the deck of the "James Craig", a three master from the 1870s or so, restored and sailing on Sydney harbour. And hullo, what's this, in the background is a person playing concertina. Then the penny dropped, it was my Lachernal, lent longterm to the friend who is playing it in the photo. You can clearly see the distinctive green bellows...

Could this be the most reproduced concertina in history? There must be a couple of million copies at least. Pity it is a little small in the frame..!

regs

Chris

post-4-1063636543.jpg

In a smilar vein, our concertinas have been on the BBC, even though we haven't (we've been on Austrian TV with our concertinas, but that's another story). If anyone recalls seeing the Local Heroes item on Charles Wheatstone, you should imagine me and Anne just out of shot watching the filming take place. We had lent them a couple of concertinas for the recording.

Chris

• 2 years later...
In a smilar vein, our concertinas have been on the BBC.......

Maybe we should set up a web site for our "celebrity" concertinas, where we can list their appearances. My Wheatstone C/G appeared on the 1993 "Children in Need" programme, as part of the ICA Band :) , and my Jeffries B'/F has recently filmed for the "Bargain Hunt" programme (as posted elsewhere). I always feel slightly humble in their presence :huh:.

Maybe we should set up a web site for our "celebrity" concertinas, where we can list their appearances. My Wheatstone C/G appeared on the 1993 "Children in Need" programme, as part of the ICA Band

That program also featured 2 Steve Dickinson/wheatstone concertinas - Glad Thorp's piccolo English and my Hayden duet. there was also Chris Burdett's bass English and Tony Jackson on anglo (instrument details unknown).

We were followed by Paul jones and the Blues band, and I remember the look on Paul Jones face, when the sozzled announcer said they were going to play Sweets of May - which we had just finished.

- John Wild

It's not in the same league as movies and TV shows, but my first concertina -- a garage-sale monstrosity with the ends of one cheap Italian concertina and the bellows of another -- appeared in a community theater production of Showboat , thanks to concertina.net.

A member of the cast needed one, he googled "concertinas" and "Washington DC", found my name on c.net and called, asking if they could borrow a concertina for a few months.

Fortunately, I had this worthless junker which was fine as a non-working prop. He returned it a few months later with a very nice bottle of wine, and said the production was smashing.