Dapper's Delight - Lumps Of Pudding

• 4 years later...

Someone left a wonderful quote on our youtube channel, which is attributed to Handel:

"Ballad opera pelted Italian opera off the stage with Lumps of Pudding".

He's referring of course to the success of the Beggar's Opera, which resulted in the public turning away from the opera house and ultimately led him to writing Oratorios. 

Here's a solo version of Lumps of Pud. from my Garden collection...

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jim, glad you like it! I find it such a shame that there have never been many convincing (at least to me) recordings of the Beggar's Opera. I think my favourite is still the Jonathan Miller film production from the 1980's with Roger Daltrey as Macheath. (Here's a link to the preview: https://www.jpc.de/flv/405/4058407092216_1.mp4

Cheers,

Adrian

On 10/22/2018 at 6:38 AM, adrian brown said:

Thanks Jim, glad you like it! I find it such a shame that there have never been many convincing (at least to me) recordings of the Beggar's Opera. I think my favourite is still the Jonathan Miller film production from the 1980's with Roger Daltrey as Macheath. (Here's a link to the preview: https://www.jpc.de/flv/405/4058407092216_1.mp4

Wow. “Over the Hills and Far Away.” Is that where it’s from? And what a cast. I first saw Patricia Routledge as Ruth in Pirates of Penzance in the New York Shakespeare Festival production in Central Park (also with Linda Ronstadt and Kevin Kline).

34 minutes ago, David Barnert said:

Wow. “Over the Hills and Far Away.” Is that where it’s from? And what a cast. I first saw Patricia Routledge as Ruth in Pirates of Penzance in the New York Shakespeare Festival production in Central Park (also with Linda Ronstadt and Kevin Kline). 

Summer of 1980, right David? I was in the row right behind you! ?  (But I don't remember the names of all the cast members.)

Ken

On 10/24/2018 at 8:58 PM, David Barnert said:

Wow. “Over the Hills and Far Away.” Is that where it’s from?

I think it's a bit older than that David, have a look at p.99 here - it's a print from a couple of decades before The Beggar's Opera. Actually, I believe that apart from the overture, all of the tunes were known popular tunes of the day which were arranged by Pepusch to suit Gay's texts.

Adrian

On 10/28/2018 at 5:28 AM, adrian brown said:

I think it's a bit older than that David, have a look at p.99 here - it's a print from a couple of decades before The Beggar's Opera. Actually, I believe that apart from the overture, all of the tunes were known popular tunes of the day which were arranged by Pepusch to suit Gay's texts.

Adrian

Yes, thanks. Shortly after posting my last message, I had a look at Wikipedia and saw this:

"Over the Hills and Far Away" is a traditional British song, dating back to at least the late 17th century. One version was published in Thomas D'Urfey's Wit and Mirth, or Pills to Purge Melancholy; a very different one appeared in George Farquhar's 1706 play The Recruiting Officer. A version also appears in John Gay's The Beggar's Opera of 1728.

On 10/24/2018 at 8:58 PM, David Barnert said:

Well, inspired by this little exchange I went and ordered the DVD and happily found it was still as impressive a performance as when I'd last seen it on the tele. The playing and singing is excellent though the 4:3 video quality takes a bit of getting used to these days  :-)

Adrian

On 10/24/2018 at 2:58 PM, David Barnert said:

On 10/30/2018 at 12:48 PM, adrian brown said:

Well, inspired by this little exchange I went and ordered the DVD and happily found it was still as impressive a performance as when I'd last seen it on the tele. The playing and singing is excellent though the 4:3 video quality takes a bit of getting used to these days  ?

The John Gay or the Gilbert & Sullivan? (Only half kidding.)