Dapper's Delight - Lumps Of Pudding

Excellent Adrian!

Wonderful!

Very nice indeed ! :)

I'll add to that my own "Lovely!"

And after listening again to their

... "Smashing!"

Isn't it great that we don'¨t just have a "Like" button? :)
It is - however, not just at Youtube but on the Soundcloud they have a comment & reply functionality as well.... :) Edited by blue eyed sailor

It is - however, not just at Youtube but on the Soundcloud they have a comment & reply functionality as well.... :)

YouTube?

SoundCloud?

I was talking about concertina.net. B)

It is - however, not just at Youtube but on the Soundcloud they have a comment & reply functionality as well.... :)

YouTube?

SoundCloud?

I was talking about concertina.net. B)

Did you? In this case I naturalmente backtrack :D

Excellent Adrian!

Wonderful!

Very nice indeed ! :)

I'll add to that my own "Lovely!"

And after listening again to their Little Bit of Cucumber... "Smashing!"

Wow, thanks guys; so glad you liked it :)

I only knew this tune from the early English sources (Pills to Purge Melancholy, Playford's DM and the Beggar's Opera) but it seems it's also known in Scotland, Ireland and Wales under a variety of different names. (Talpiau Pwdin, Contentment Is Wealth, Paddy Carty's Favourite, Contented Wi’ Little etc.) I've not yet come across any continental sources though; anyone know of any?

Adrian

I only knew this tune from the early English sources (Pills to Purge Melancholy, Playford's DM and the Beggar's Opera) but it seems it's also known in Scotland, Ireland and Wales under a variety of different names. (Talpiau Pwdin, Contentment Is Wealth, Paddy Carty's Favourite, Contented Wi’ Little etc.) I've not yet come across any continental sources though; anyone know of any?

I don't know of any mainland European sources, but Lumps of Plum Pudding is a Cotswold Morris tune, with versions found at least in the Bampton, Bledington, and Fieldtown traditions.

...just to be clear, this setting of the tune is not the Cotswold Lumps of Plum Pudding tune.

"The setting"??

There are significant differences among the three Morris settings -- Bampton, Bledington, and Fieldtown -- in my copy of the Bacon book, but all three and the Dapper version are clearly variants of the same tune. And Dapper's version of the melody (though possibly not their arrangement) is almost certainly closer to the original, though I would consider the folk-processed Morris variants to be equally valid.

Edited by JimLucas

Thanks again - red faces all around here. :wub: And thanks Jim for pointing out the similarity between ...pudding and ...plum pudding, since thesession.org has them down as two distinct tunes (although reading the posts through now, it seems someone else has also made the connection). Like you, I think the morris probably borrowed it from the popular song and the key is perhaps in comparing the lyrics in Pills... http://digital.nls.uk/special-collections-of-printed-music/pageturner.cfm?id=87642590 with the lyric from Bampton morris:
"Lumps of plum pudding and pieces of pie,
Me mother she gave me for telling a lie;
She gave me so much I fear I shall die,
From lumps of plum pudding and pieces of pie"?
Our version along with the bass line and the modulation in the 4th part, comes from The Beggar's Opera, but the B.O. text is perhaps a little too un-politically correct to sing today, at least in the Netherlands!

Adrian

Burns's "Contented Wi Little" is, for my money, the finest song he ever wrote, and it uses that tune. You oughta find a way to fit it in.

That variation set is surely not from any edition of the Beggars Opera. There are 18th century variation sets on the tune - I used to play one years ago but I forget where I got it, presumably a Scottish source, and it wasn't the same as yours. Where did you get it?

Burns's "Contented Wi Little" is, for my money, the finest song he ever wrote, and it uses that tune. You oughta find a way to fit it in.

That variation set is surely not from any edition of the Beggars Opera. There are 18th century variation sets on the tune - I used to play one years ago but I forget where I got it, presumably a Scottish source, and it wasn't the same as yours. Where did you get it?

Hi Jack,

Well, we certainly take a lot of artistic licence with our arrangements (as with our instrumentation!), so Susanna wrote the counter-melody she plays on the recorder. The tune and bass line come from the 1729 edition, although I've probably not stuck to it religiously:-)

Adrian