Ec Laid Out A La Anglo?

Is there any reason an EC could not be laid out like a 38-40-45 With the high notes at the inside, the low notes at the outside? You could lose the super-high notes, but go down to the low "F" or lower on a 45-button.......

Provided the player didn't mind the sides being mirror rather than parallel, are there other reasons why this wouldn't work? I guess you might not have some of your black-note doubling, but aside from that---Would there be deal-breakers?

yes, I will have to. I was thinking about how great it was that some of the hybrids are cutting off the not-used-for-most-world-folk super-high notes, and making 37k trebles and 45k tenors.

and that got me to thinking, well, we have 38k Anglos, 45-k Anglos. the left side of the anglo has the high notes near your index and middle, and the low notes on the outside, near the ring and pinkie.

so why couldn't you do a 37-45-key ec with the normal EC left-right note assignments, but laid out and constructed so that both sides are like the left side of an anglo. you're still playing alternating-sides like ec, but held and articulated like an anglo, with the slightly curved layout of rows like an anglo--for both hands, high notes would be near your index, low notes on the outside nearer your pinkie and ring. the 2 center "white key" rows would remain themselves. perhaps some jiggering would have to occur for the accidental rows--would they become one accidental row on top, with the bottom 4th row missing the "doubled" accidentals? I don't know....i'll have to mess around with a layout diagram for a 38-key or 45-key anglo....

Edited by ceemonster

Is there any reason an EC could not be laid out like a 38-40-45 With the high notes at the inside, the low notes at the outside? You could lose the super-high notes, but go down to the low "F" or lower on a 45-button.......

Provided the player didn't mind the sides being mirror rather than parallel, are there other reasons why this wouldn't work? I guess you might not have some of your black-note doubling, but aside from that---Would there be deal-breakers?

Like Geoff, I'd like to see a detailed layout with note assignment. Sounds to me that you haven't really thought it through. And no matter how you work out the details, from your description I don't think it would be even remotely justifiable to call it an "English" or "EC"... no more than it would be appropriate to advertise a Maccann duet as an "anglo" ("with every button a 'drone' " ;)). "Bastard son of English"... maybe. B)

But you asked for reasons, so here's one:

the unequal distribution of buttons on the two ends of those many-button anglos.

Didn't someone post this question a few weeks back?

ha, did they?

Similar idea, but not quite the same, if memory serves me correctly.

I think that one was a proposal to turn the English on its side and replace the thumb loop and finger plate with an anglo/duet style bar and strap. This seems to be a proposal to achieve a similar result by starting with an anglo and rearranging the reed locations. Of the two, I do think that rotating an existing English would be much easier to accomplish.