Tune Of The Month For May, 2014: Michael Turner's Waltz

Jim Besser

Thank you to all the quick posters!! Love listening to it before I try to tackle it myself! I may even be able to get this one to a speed that's appropriate (I loved working on last month's, but I didn't yet get it up to full speed... Having fun trying though!!).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and Jim's version lets us hear it as the waltz it's claming to be, doesn't it?

Vivat variety! :)

I played it for dancers long before I knew it was Mozart. I believe I first heard it on a recording (an actual vinyl record) by Alan Day's band Gig CB, played as a dance tune.

Edited by Jim Besser

Hi,

here is an attempt with my dear Friend Emmanuel Pariselle who spent several days at home. He's playing his Dipper G-C franglo while I'm playing my Dipper Baritone duet. We are playing this tune with a lot of customization... included a minor arrangement!... Sorry for the purists :) But it works very good as a mazurka!...
I tried also to take up the challenge to play both parts of violin 1 and 2 (thank you David for the score) but not enough time to memorize them well.
The last rounds are a wink to the "theme of the month" of may and about tempo variation of a tune...

cheers!

http://youtu.be/xCL1HoUc8HI

souncloud link : https://soundcloud.com/thoon-1/michael-turners-waltz

Edited by tona

Hi,

here is an attempt with my dear Friend Emmanuel Pariselle who spent several days at home. He's playing his Dipper G-C franglo while I'm playing my Dipper Baritone duet. We are playing this tune with a lot of customization... included a minor arrangement!... Sorry for the purists :) But it works very good as a mazurka!...

I tried also to take up the challenge to play both parts of violin 1 and 2 (thank you David for the score) but not enough time to memorize them well.

The last rounds are a wink to the "theme of the month" of may and about tempo variation of a tune...

cheers!

Bravo; this is gorgeous. Love the customization, and the excursion into minor is wonderful. You are both amazing musicians. Thanks.

Edited by Jim Besser

Hi,

cheers!

:) :lol: :D

Thanks to all :)

What I like in totm (thank you Jim for what you do) is the difference of playing of C.neters and I seize the opportunity before taking some rest of recording sessions for a while to tell you the interest and pleasure I had to discover and listen to the playing of others.

You are right Chris for my dog who nethertheless has a very high tolerance as a dog to free reeds instruments!...

cheers!

Thomas

Edited by tona

[[i hope I am like many who always have a go at TOTM but would never consider recording it myself.]]]

you're not alone. i just can't face learning more tech right now. i'm having to do it in other life functions, and it's eating into my time for the stuff i actually care about more than enoguh as it is. the thought of figuring out how to record and post soundclips is too much for the the foreseeable future. but i really enjoy choosing and tackling some of the themed tunes....

the thought of figuring out how to record and post soundclips is too much for the the foreseeable future. but i really enjoy choosing and tackling some of the themed tunes....

If you manage to play a tune in a way you'd like to provide and have discussed this "technical" issue shouldn't stand in your way... With freeware "Audacity" you might just record one mono track through your notebook mic (which will give you quality fair enough for instrumentals), cut it out if there should be initial noise or a final sigh and save this excerpt as an MP3. Create a "soundcloud" account then and do the uploading - that's it.

I'd be happy to go through the steps with you in detail if required...

Best wishes - Wolf

I have only been playing the concertina for 4 months, and my playing is very choppy , sloppy, and erratically timed, but it has been a really good learning experience for me to try the tune of the month and to record it.

Thanks for encouraging beginners to post.

PS.This is my first social media post EVER. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExmPd9lIH60&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share

Stagi G/D Anglo 30

Edited by Daria