A Joyous May To One And All!

This one (from 1931) has a concertina (or two ;) ) in it, starting at 1.18:

"Oxford. 'Ye Merrie Monthe of Maye.' Centuries'-old custom of ushering in May-day at dawn with old English songs and dances, filmed for the first time."

Happy May Day! :)

Edited to add: It's starting to look like this newsreel could be a bit of a "discovery" because (on my Facebook page, where I've also posted it) Paul Groff asked about the man watching (on the edge of the crowd, on the right) who is wearing a cap and holding an Anglo, and I believe it's William Kimber!

kimber1931.jpg

In fact the concertina playing at the very beginning sounds like him too...

If so, it's a great pity it's not him that's playing "Country Gardens" for the morris dancers. :(

Edited to add photo

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Certainly looks like Kimber, and the playing at the start sure sounds like him too. I wonder when that sound recording at the beginning was made? The Youtube clip says 1931, but the earliest recording on the EFDSS Absolutely Classic is 1935.

Certainly looks like Kimber, and the playing at the start sure sounds like him too. I wonder when that sound recording at the beginning was made? The Youtube clip says 1931, but the earliest recording on the EFDSS Absolutely Classic is 1935.

It's a British Pathé newsreel issued on 4th May 1931Tony, so that's the year it was recorded.

If only we had the out takes from the filming... :huh:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Great singing, and what a period piece! Clouds of cigarette smoke! A poster of a "cowboy" with guitar on the wall--an upcoming attraction, perhaps? Glad we're done with all that smoke, even though I contributed to it at one time; done with it, I suppose, except for the residue in old concertinas!