Who's Going To The New England Folk Festival?

NEFFA is next weekend, and I'm wondering which of you I might see there; and for those of you I don't already know in real life, how I might know when I see you.

I'll have with me the latest prototype for an upcoming R. Morse & Co. model. Anglo players especially, seek me out and ask to give it a squeeze!...

And a plug: Sunday at 2pm, step outside the festival's main entrance to watch my group And Sometimes Y perform some awesome dances from the Isle of Man. This is a rare opportunity to hear a concertina and nyckelharpa duet -- a really rich and fun sound.

Hi Will and David,

If you're around Sat. 1:00 you can see my team, Vineyard Swordfish, perform a dance based on the Manx Sword Dance, "Whiteboys". We'll also debut a new dance, in this style, called "Woods'le". I'll be playing Hurdy gurdy for these and an Anglo for the others. Also catch my group"Morgan Rattler" Sun. at 4:00. We'll be doing pyrate and sea songs with Anglo, Melodeon, Hurdy Gurdy, and Fiddle accompaniment. I've met David but please introduce yourself if you see me.

I'll be there most of the weekend, sans concertina....

My husband Hunt Smith and I are giving a workshop on "How to Play by Ear" at the delightful hour of 9 pm on Friday. I'll be in charge of guitar chords!

My women's chorus, Animaterra, and I will be leading a "Sing for Joy" workshop at noon on Sunday in the HS auditorium.

For part of Saturday I'll be running away for awhile to visit my friends at Seven Arrows Herb Farm in Seekonk, Mass.

It will be lovely to see many of you at NEFFA!

Edited by Animaterra

I'll have with me the latest prototype for an upcoming R. Morse & Co. model. Anglo players especially, seek me out and ask to give it a squeeze!...

Anybody want to comment on that prototype? I'm very curious!

I wish I could have been there. I hope (I'm certain) that everyone had fun! I certainly enjoyed NEFFA when I was in Mass. although I was more involved in learning dances then, and didn't play concertina at all yet. Now I learn that NEFFA moved to Mansfield - I used to live and work there back in the mid 1990's, and could have walked to the festival! (but of course the festival was in Natick back then.)

Anybody want to comment on that prototype? I'm very curious!

I played it and was favorably impressed. This was the new Morse C/G an octave down from normal and by all accounts, set to go into production in a few months. Slightly larger but still very light to hold with a great response, even in the lowest notes. The low notes really popped and certainly caught the attention of the folks I was jamming with. Using it for song accompaniment would be dandy, though it was plenty fast enough for tunes as well. A pleasure to play and a unique sound.