David D Mackenzie Of Sallachy

Peter Dyson

This week I have been listening to the CD "Leaving Lerwick Harbour" by Shetland fiddler Willie Hunter, ably accompanied by Violet Tulloch on piano.

One of the magnificent slow airs they play on the CD is called "David D MacKenzie of Sallachy", written by one I Sinclair, copyright Springthyme Music. It is a beautiful tune; very sad, a real wrist-slitter.

Does anyone know who David D MacKenzie is/was, or anything about I Sinclair ? The usual searches have turned up nothing of interest.

Thanks,

Peter Dyson

Bellingham, WA

No joy with my enquiry I'm afraid but as the tune is © to Springthyme Music it may be worthwhile dropping them an email.

Their website has a search box. When I put in "I Sinclair", several references to an "Ian Sinclair" popped up.

But Googling "David D MacKenzie of Sallachy Ian Sinclair" doesn't yield much at first glance. :-(

If you fancy having a go at this tune, there is quite a good transcription on The Session at:

http://thesession.org/tunes/9072

The transcription is by Nigel Gatherer, the Scottish mandolin player, and he certainly knows a thing or two about playing slow airs. The tune is marked as a reel here, but that is a limitation of The Session, and not Nigel Gatherer's opinion.

Peter Dyson

Bellingham, WA

• 3 weeks later...

No joy with my enquiry I'm afraid but as the tune is © to Springthyme Music it may be worthwhile dropping them an email.

Their website has a search box. When I put in "I Sinclair", several references to an "Ian Sinclair" popped up.

But Googling "David D MacKenzie of Sallachy Ian Sinclair" doesn't yield much at first glance. :-(

Ian Sinclair is a possible name for the tune writer.

The Ian Sinclair I'm thinking off was leader of the group Mirk from Thurso in Northern Scotland, who recorded for Springthyme, but Sinclair is a common Caithness name.

Sallachy is also in Northern Scotland.

Incidentally, this thread prompted me to seek out the "Leaving Lerwick Harbour" CD. Found a new copy from a 3rd-party seller on Amazon, reasonably priced.

Very pleased with it! It is a fantastic album. Thanks for bringing it up, Peter.