Interesting 40-Key Jeffries On Ebay

Daniel Hersh

It's at http://www.ebay.com/itm/331173091005 . The button layout doesn't look to me like either the usual big Jeffries Anglo or a typical Jeffries Duet. I live within driving distance of the seller but they're not willing to let me come take a look at it. Any thoughts as to what system this is? It occurred to me that it might be a double 20-button Anglo (e.g. C/G and D/A) - I think that one of those has been occasionally discussed on c.net.

Yes, that's interesting, on the one hand. On the other not only the refusal of letting you see and play the instrument seems odd to me. They say to have opened the ends several times and that the concertina is making sounds. They provide a whole bunch of pics " for your own judgement", but none of them of the inside. In cases like this I always wonder how many reeds might be broken, or even missing at all.

Best wishes - Wolf

With that unusual key layout it might well turn out to be an Anglo in 4 different keys, maybe something similar to the 4-row William Jeffries in "Bb, F, Eb, and Ab" that turned up previously; W Jefferies for sale; but who knows? :unsure:

I don't think they mean they've opened up the concertina though, only that they've opened and closed the bellows...

I don't think they mean they've opened up the concertina though, only that they've opened and closed the bellows...

You probably have it right; this interpretation simply didn't occur to me... :blink:

Anyway, even without ill intent one would have to look at and/or listen to every single reed of an instrument whose value is very much represented by the reeds... (not that I did that with mine, being very lucky in the outcome!).

Would I not stick to the EC, I might be pretty much interested in such an instrument...

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Jim,

The 30b Jones Chris Algar is offering has a layout not unlike a 26b Jones. The LH looks fairly conventional but the RH starts a button lower on the accidental row. I would have to check the notes but I believe the Jones does not double up the C#/D# in opposite directions as the Jeffries layout does. However the push C# and pull D# on that "1st" button would be in the same place as with a Jeffries layout.

Greg

Speaking of unusual layouts, how about this one from Chris Algar?

At first glance it looks like a standard 30-button, but look at the buttons on the right-hand side. Isn't the alignment of the rows unusual?

Jim, i ve seen more of them, I think it is the typical Jones layout...

I've seen them too. Some Jones Anglos have this offset layout, while others have the more standard one.

With that unusual key layout it might well turn out to be an Anglo in 4 different keys, maybe something similar to the 4-row William Jeffries in "Bb, F, Eb, and Ab" that turned up previously; W Jefferies for sale; but who knows? :unsure:

Thanks, Stephen! That's the one I was thinking of but I couldn't remember the details.

Don't know how "out of school this is, but when I asked this:

When you press a single button while pulling out on the ends it should play a note (make a sound of a certain pitch) when you press the ends in while holding that same button down does it sound the same note or does it sound a note up (or down)?
If you try a couple different buttons in the same way are the results the same?
I'm trying to find out if the notes are the same or different consistently on the in and the out for each button.
Do you have any history on the instrument? It seems well-played, yet well cared for. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.
Kindest regards,

I received only this by way of reply:

I tried a few buttons and it sounded a little different. But I am not a expert...I also have trouble with my ears.....they ring all of the time.

Seems a bit odd to me.

Addendum:

It seems odd to me that a person might have no knowledge of the relationship between sounds, have no one with good discerening ears available to assist in the interest of a sale and yet know enough about concertinas to determine "that a couple of pads are loose". Most lay folks don't know the difference between pads, valves and cirle thingies.

Totally ignored the request for some history on the instrument.

I received only this by way of reply:

I tried a few buttons and it sounded a little different. But I am not a expert...I also have trouble with my ears.....they ring all of the time.

Seems a bit odd to me.

Addendum:

It seems odd to me that a person might have no knowledge of the relationship between sounds, have no one with good discerening ears available to assist in the interest of a sale and yet know enough about concertinas to determine "that a couple of pads are loose". Most lay folks don't know the difference between pads, valves and cirle thingies.

Totally ignored the request for some history on the instrument.

I'm not surprised - that's why I had not sent my own follow-up questions. I think that the seller is more interested in just getting the concertina sold than in learning and sharing more about it and perhaps getting a better price.

The trouble is that behaviour which suggests a possible scam could also be the likely behaviour of someone who knows nothing about concertinas and is just trying to get rid of an antique instrument which might have a bit of value.

We're understandably suspicious of scams, particularly where Jeffries are concerned. However if a genuine seller looks through the metal grille and sees that some round things are loose, what else would he call them? Also, someone with no knowledge of concertinas and unaware of the scams might not understand the significance of the questions or the interpretations which might be placed on their answers, or lack of.

And "pad" is a term commonly used for similar parts of other instruments (flutes, saxaphones). I can easily imagine that someone completely unfamiliar with concertinas might instinctively use that term.

I'm surprised the bidding has gone as high as it has, given that we have no idea whether the thing has all, or even most of, its reeds. But I suppose, from an odds calculation, the EV is probably still quite favorable (assuming you're able to sustain a potential loss).

• 3 weeks later...

these mystery concertinas with a question-mark seller, are getting to be a theme around here...

By no means always justified, but very understandable when it comes to Jeffries Anglos - seeing that there have been so many fraudulent/cloned listings of them.

I must have reported the same William Jeffries to eBay about a dozen times, and I absolutely knew that was a fake listing because I actually had the instrument in my posession, for repair... :rolleyes: