Dr Mackay's Farewell To Creagorry Aka 'dark Island'

A quick recording of the tune for a forthcoming project, annoying hesitations here and there and I jump the gun once or twice too, not sure if there's a bit of 'tempo rubato' going on as well. Feel free to jump in and ravage it, constructive criticism is what I'm after! Don't be kind or polite, but do please be accurate!

https://soundcloud.com/peterdunk/dr-mackays-farewell-to

Rhythm !

You need to decide on an internal rhythm . I would suggest a 'slow Retreat March' rhythm , a bit like a slow waltz with a slight hesitation... I'll look for examples to suggest..................

First listening suggestion is on youtube " The Dark Island by the Alexander Brothers... it is a bit twee but is the best I can find whilst watching repeats of Foyle's War and nipping in to the computer during the Ad's.

I recall the version by Alistair Anderson or perhaps the High level Ranters and used to play the tune myself in the early70's... I would approach it with all the passion of a nice Slow Air and change into the very slow waltz rhythm with a very marked pulse otherwise it can sould like a load of slop.

Beautifull tune . :)

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Hi Pete,

If you want a somewhat "serious concert version" to listen to check the Scottish concert folder on my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wuf6r3laeb4naja/fSE3VaJFrF

We took the slow waltz approach. I've heard pipers play it as an air with some shifting tempos and also in strict tempo. Geoff's suggestion is a good on. It isn't which approach one takes so much as the performance has to commit to that approach.

BTW, I'm on hammered dulcimer in the background. For those wondering if I really play concertina you can check out "Northern Lights of Old Aberdeen."

Thanks Chuck, I'm now working with a metronome to keep the tempo pretty strict and at the same time emphasizing the pulse so it's a work in progress. I may be ready to record my progress again tomorrow, we'll see.

Interesting (but not disappointing!) to hear it without reverb added. As expected from listening to the processed version I'd suggest 1/3 of the effect will do it. The original version will allow further analysis and self-criticism, but for listening and delight some reverb (be it natural or synthetic) suits an elegic or hymnic tune like this one well as to me.

Best wishes - Wolf

Edited by blue eyed sailor

So, now that Wolf has let the cat out of the bag so to speak ( ;) ) I'd better post a link to the 'straight' recording. It's almost as it was recorded on my Zoom H4 but it has been topped and tailed and then 'Normalised' to set the playback level as high as it can be without distortion. The 'treated' version was topped and tailed then sent as a CD quality .wav up to Yorkshire and returned as a slightly sweetened and industrially reverberated mp3.

I ask no forgiveness! B)

Sorry Jack, I disagree. Style is not trad at all, but quite in keeping with most classically trained singers and much better than some of them. That said, the two guys are much better.

Sorry Jack, I disagree. Style is not trad at all, but quite in keeping with most classically trained singers and much better than some of them.

I have to second this judgement. There's nothing wrong with the singing, it's only that there might have been some more lively phrasing. Besides, I like the three-part (?) harmony sections a lot, they're really sweet!

Best wishes - Wolf

Sorry Jack, I disagree. Style is not trad at all, but quite in keeping with most classically trained singers and much better than some of them.

I have to second this judgement. There's nothing wrong with the singing, it's only that there might have been some more lively phrasing. Besides, I like the three-part (?) harmony sections a lot, they're really sweet!

Best wishes - Wolf

Thanks Wolf. Incidentally the 4 part chorus (the keyboard player sings alto and is hard to hear) is my work. I'm glad you like it. I got to (read "had to") write all the arrangements for that concert. It is fun to write for folks who just chew up the arrangement and spit it out in good condition! Check out "The Flowers of the Forest" for some really nice singing (two part mens voices).

Edited by cboody