Kensington Concertinas How Are They

I was looking at some Kensington concertinas and was wondering how they were any good does anybody know if Dana is still making them they look pretty nice and for having real concertina reeds

I would say the price on them is really good to any information would help thank's

I like mine very much. Wonderful tone, and the action is excellent. I have had mine since December. I played in a Comhaltas competition last Sat. (1st place!) and the judge, who plays a Shakespeare, loved the sound of it. People will tell you they are heavy, but I think that is overstated. I like the solid feel. Dana is taking orders (price has gone up slightly). There is also a used one for sale in the Buy & Sell forum.

Edited by Bill N

I am going to be buying a Concertina do you know if there is any other way of contacting him I can't call him because of long distance charges does he have an account on here if there's a waiting list

I would like get on thanks and sorry for all the questions if I am being annoying let me know haha

I bought a new Kensington last fall. The wait for me was just under 6 years, and the price was $3500. The concertina is fantastic. The lower price is reflected by the long wait, and there are few if any options aside from fitting the palm rests to your hands. Dana is extremely helpful and good to deal with. The tone is very full and warm, and the reed response is great.

The wait may not be quite as long if you get on the list now, as I think he wasn't making many instruments for a time, but seems to be in full swing now.

I've been surprised at the low prices that the last few used Kensington's have gone for on here - the instrument is far better than any hybrid I've played that cost just a few hundred less, and the action and reeds are better than any comparatively priced Lachenal that I've encountered. I think they just aren't known enough outside of the U.S, and Dana really needs to update his website!

wow just under 6 year that's a long time

Actually, wait tiimes for Concertinas can be pretty long for established makers. I waited 4 years for my Suttner. Remember these are mostly hand made instruments, and even if they use accordion reeds, and there is no waiting list, it can take several months or more to get your instrument. I think (though I am not sure because it has been a while) I waited close to a year for my Kensington, and I got in on the ground floor relatively speaking (#12). That was also before Dana got sick.

If you don't want to wait too long for an instrument, you can always look on the used market. Sometimes you can find real bargains.

My own personal assesment of the instrument is that it is a lovely instrument. Definitely a little heavy, but part of that is based on Dana's choice of materials; he designs his instruments to last for generations. That being said, they are quite responsive and in my personal opinion the weight might only be an issue if you play standing up. I never quite clicked with mine, but that should not be taken as a reflection of the instrument, bur rather my own personal preferences.

--

Bill

For others reading this, my current wait is measured in months, mostly due to my website which I haven't updated for quite a while as I whittled down my list. Enough people have inquired anyway to keep me working hard and fortunately, my health is currently good praise God for those who do that sort of thing. Regarding the weight issue, The heaviest instruments were the early ones up to about # 13 if I recall correctly. I wish I'd kept better records in the early years. Since then, I have reduced the weight, and the heaviest I currently make is 3pounds 2 ounces. With the largest hand rest. My old C/G Jeffries weighed 3#-1 ounce with the original solid nickel silver buttons replaced with much lighter bone ones. Any weight difference now comes from the different sized hand rests and is minimal. Over the years I' have gotten better at making the things, and now on # 60 they are the best they've ever been. I play #23 not because I couldn't buy a great concertina from Wally Carroll, Chris Ghent or Jurgen Suttner, or afford a fine Jeffries or Wheatstone,. I play mine because in the last 20 years none has suited me so well. I think my music has developed around it's capabilities and dynamic range and I can't really do what I want on others. Newer instruments of mine are lighter, faster and a little crisper in tone, but the old ones still sound lovely to me when they com back for tuning. I'm redoing my website now and Paul will be putting my banner ad up again, so now is a good time to get in on the ground floor so to speak while the wait is short.

Best Wishes to all

Dana Johnson

I have Kensington #8 and play it more than any other instrument I have (well, my French horn probably gets as much time). When Dana sent it to me in 2004, he did describe the somewhat heavier reed shoes he used in that production run (Dana, I still have the emails if you want to see them - And the next time I'm in DC I'll bring it by so you can weigh it!). I long ago got used to the weight (and I used to have chronic carpal tunnel inflammation) and enjoy playing it.

Ken