Selling My Jeffries (38?) Key C/g Anglo

brianread

I am thinking of selling my 38 key c/g jeffries. I know if i sell it to a dealer I will not get the full price, but if i try to sell it over the internet I might get defrauded.

What do people think - what should I do to avoid any tom foolery?

I am in the UK.

PS I am looking for a 2.5 row Castagnari Melodian (G/D) - anyone know of one for sale?

Cheers

Brian

Brian,

In my experience, you determine a price that is acceptable to you AND fair to BOTH you AND a buyer.

You will likely sell it around here where the people can be trusted

Establsih a price and post it with a comprehensive description including photos.

Post it here AND under the Buy and Sell classifieds via the front page where potential buyers can readily see it.

If you post it, they will (likely) come. Assuming your price is fair for your particular instrument

Be Well,

Dan

The advantage of selling to a well-known dealer is that although you might get less than selling to a player, you can probably sell the instrument more quickly, and if you choose someone with a longstanding reputation you know you will get a fair price, even if its not the full retail price. I'm not in the market for a Jeffries by the way, so that advice is free of bias.

I do have a Castagnari Mory in D/G which I bought new in 2000. Its a lovely box, and the sound is wonderful, but I find it too heavy for the amount of playing I do. I have gone back to a 1930s Hohner Club fitted with new Italian reeds. So I could be persuaded to sell the Casagnari!

Theo

I am thinking of selling my 38 key c/g jeffries.

What do people think - what should I do to avoid any tom foolery?

Selling on eBay may well get you a higher price than setting your own price... though it doesn't always work out that way, and it could be significantly lower. To avoid tom foolery, use only PayPal or an established escrow service for payment.

If you care about the intentions and attitudes of its new caretaker, then I think here you have more certainty. If you don't know what's a reasonble price, you could take it to a dealer for an appraisal. Each thing you do to reduce uncertainty will cost you something, but if it also reduces the buyer's uncertainty, they may be willing to pay more.

One possibility, though some would consider it cheating, would be to put it on eBay with an unreasonably high reserve, and -- assuming that it doesn't reach the reserve -- use the results of the bidding to help you determine a reasonble price to offer it for here. But an appraisal from a professional who has examined it inside and out and tried playing it should be a more reliable price guide than the guesses of bidders who haven't been able to touch it.

You will likely sell it around here where the people can be trusted

While I'm sure that most -- and probably all -- C.net members can be trusted, I would still take the cautious approach on payment, especially if the member is a lurker.

Selling an item on ebay is perfectly safe *for the seller*. No seller will ship an item until funds are transfered and actualized.

If you set an unreasonably high reserve price it will cost you a significant amount. Reserve auctions are charged a commision *whether they sell or not*, and the commision percentage is established by the reserve price. (Ebay's not stupid).

As for selling more quickly to a dealer, I don't think you'd have to wait too long for a buyer for your Jefferies either here or on ebay.

Wish I could afford to consider it. Good Luck.

Brian,

Over the last year, the following Jeffries were on ebay:

30 Button sold for GBP4001

45 Buton sold for US$6100

38 button went to GBP2851 but wasn't sold (not sure why - it may have been taken off)

49 button sold for GBP2650

Of course, condition is an important factor. As Sandy said, you are safe when selling as you don't ship until the money is in the bank. The only cocern is that it may end up with a collector rather than a player. You could put it on ebay and CNet and take it off ebay if the right person comes along with the right money on CNet.

Good luck

I do have a Castagnari Mory in D/G which I bought new in 2000. Its a lovely box, and the sound is wonderful, but I find it too heavy for the amount of playing I do.

Theo,

I'm interested in you comment on the Mory, I have thought about one on and off over the last year or so,and the main reason I havn't proceeded was concern over the weight!.

2.5 rows don't seem to be Costalotti's Strong point, whereas Salterelle seem to do a good selection (eg Pastourelle II or III), mind you I've lately been thinking about an old Hohner Lilliput - 2.5 rows, but smaller than most 2 rows.

Perhaps I should have posted this at Melodeon.net !

Clive.

Perhaps I should have posted this at Melodeon.net !

That sounds like a good idea.

Do youy have a Liliput? I should be able to help you if you want one.

Theo

Do youy have a Liliput?  I should be able to help you if you want one.

Theo,

No I don't have one,. I tried one out briefly at a Bromyard folk festival, but didn't have time to have a thorough squeeze. I gather that they are practically all in C/F?

I also tried out a 'Preciso' (??) which is basically the same but with an extra reed in the bass.

I would be interested in getting one if I could get one at the right price -

How much do you think I'd need to pay for one?.

Clive.

Edited by Clive Thorne

Well folks, many thanks for all the advice, on and off the forum.

I can report that I did a swap + cash for my Jeffries for a 2.5 row castagnari from "charles" who emailed me from this forum post (he was the first one!). it turned out that he only lived about 10 miles from me (NW england), so we were easily able to do the deal.

I now have a new box to play, and aching arms already from the extra weight when compared to my poker work Hohner. I am enjoying it though...

Once again, many thanks for the help..

:D

Well, as a reminder to everyone, not necessarily just present company, Paul has requested a modest donation to C.net for some of the site hosting costs if this site has helped you sell an instrument (see his note on both the old and new buy and sell pages). A while back I asked Paul (we don't talk all that often, actually) how many people who sell instruments here actually did this; the impression I got was not very many. Anyone interested in doing this should contact Paul directly, not me.

Edited to add: Daniel beat me to the punch here, thanks.