Anything Happening In Boston, Ma?

Looks like I'll be in Boston 23-27 March.

Although I'm attending a conference, I hope to maybe find the time to go to some folk music event.

Anyone know of anything happening in Boston that week?

(I will not have a concertina with me, but I'll bring plenty of songs.)

Non-musical, but still a good thing that's happening (if you, like me, like that sort of thing): NERAX (the New England Real Ale Exhibition, www.nerax.org) is happening in Somerville (on the other side of Cambridge from Boston, reachable by bus or by subway train plus a short walk) 3/26 - 29, so you might be able to catch the first session (or even the second, if you're in town for all of the 27th).

Edited by jdms

A couple of contra dances in the Boston area - Concord is a bit out of the center of town, so you would need a car.

Edit: Apparently the Scout house is 3/4 mile walk from the Concord Center commuter rail station on the Purple Fitchburg line, so you might not need a car.

Concord, Massachusetts - Mondays: Concord Scout House -- 74 Walden St., Concord, MA . Route 2 to Route 126 (4 miles west of 128), north 1 mile. Hall is on left before Congregational Church. Plenty of free parking (but not in the church lot, please!). Walk-through instructions for all dances; beginners and singles welcome. Please bring a clean pair of shoes to change into for dancing. Dance is from 7:30-10:30pm. General Admission: Adults $8 ($3 after 9:30 pm); Age 22 (and under) $5. For more information call (781) 272-0396 or (978) 369-1232. Cancellations only when the police advise against all driving. Please DO NOT park in the church lot next to the Scout House. Web site: http://mondaycontras.com.

Concord, Massachusetts - NEFFA Thursday Night: All dances at the Scout House, 74 Walden Street, Concord.7:30pm-10:30pm -- $8 ($5 for people 22 and under). Please bring soft-soled shoes! Info: (781) 272-0396 or (508) 229-2854. This dance is sponsored by NEFFA. We will cancel the dance if Concord declares a snow emergency, or if we feel that weather conditions would make for unsafe travel. No animals (other than service animals) are allowed in the building. Web site: http://www.neffa.org/Thurs.html.

Edited by Tradewinds Ted

I've actually been to the Concord Scout House dances when we lived in Massachusetts years ago, and highly recommend them. Talented musicians and lots of experienced dancers.

But looking around a bit, there is also a song session at the Skellig Irish Pub in Waltham, and possibly a tune session later on into the evening. I've never been there, but apparently it is easily reachable on the T - and Waltham is closer to the center of Boston than Concord is.

http://www.bostonsongsessions.org/

Join Lynn Noel, Jeff Keller, and friends in an open sing at the Skellig Irish Pub

Fourth Tuesdays, 7:00 - 10:00 PM no cover -- no age requirement

Waltham Center T-stop ~12 min. from Porter Sq. by Commuter Rail

"Based on a traditional English pub sing, but with a bit of an American flavor, this session is open to all singers who want to join in, with chorus songs that are easy to learn and fun to sing. We love the fine old drinking songs and know plenty of sea chanteys and chorus songs from the British Isles and New England, but anything goes as long as it's fun and has a chorus or refrain that people can pick up. Bring a song to share!

In Lynn's words: "We love pub singing for its spontaneity, its rich harmonies, its sweep-you-along sense of communal participation, and above all its energetic joy."

We'll be in the back room. Show up at 6:00 to join us for dinner.

BTW, we have excellent relations with Larry Reynolds' acoustic Irish session in the front room (starting ~9pm), so if you play a suitable instrument, you might want to bring it along for that."

Edited by Tradewinds Ted

Looks like I'll be in Boston 23-27 March.

Although I'm attending a conference, I hope to maybe find the time to go to some folk music event.

Anyone know of anything happening in Boston that week?

If you'd like something Scandinavian along with the English and Irish (and ale), you might try contacting Lydia and Andrea, recently mentioned in another thread. They're not in Boston itself, but I'll bet they know what's happening and other folks you could contact.

...there is also a song session at the Skellig Irish Pub in Waltham, and possibly a tune session later on into the evening.

http://www.bostonsongsessions.org/

Join Lynn Noel, Jeff Keller, and friends in an open sing at the Skellig Irish Pub

Fourth Tuesdays, 7:00 - 10:00 PM no cover -- no age requirement

If you do go to that one, please say "hi" to Lynn for me. I haven't seen her in ages, but maybe she'll remember. :unsure: And memory tells me that there will be lots of great songs. :)

Jim, I expect to see Lynn a week from Saturday--I'll pass along your greetings (or maybe I'll just drop her a note on Facebook...)

Steve, I had forgotten the Skellig session was happening then. It's well worth it (either the commuter rail fare or the lengthy schlep by bus). I haven't been in a while, but the Skellig is one of many places in the Boston area inspired by Irish pubs; it has a nice selection of beers on tap and a decent menu. The song session usually has the back room to itself. Lynn and Jeff, not to mention many of the session regulars, have a considerable store of songs in their heads.

Thanks very much for all the tips.

My conference ends in the afternoon of 26th March and I'm planning to fly back 28th - so I'm hoping to have all day 27th in Boston area.

I'll contact Lynn & Jeff.

Good beer is always an attractive option too :)