Is This For Real ?

Jack Bradshaw

It looks suspicious to me. The details appear to be identical to an auction on ebay UK which finished about a week ago. Text and photos appear to have been lifted directly.

Would you buy anything from someone who chooses Sideshowbob as a trading name?

Theo

Would you buy anything from someone who chooses Sideshowbob as a trading name?

The name doesn't bother me.

I've known some pretty interesting people with some pretty interesting names. :rolleyes:

The details appear to be identical to an auction on ebay UK which finished about a week ago.  Text and photos appear to have been lifted directly.

This, on the other hand, is the connection we need.

Scam. Fraud.

Even if it were the original buyer reselling, they shouldn't be using the same text, saying, "AMAZINGLY, IT IS THE SECOND JONES 35 BUTTON ANGLO THAT WE HAVE FOUND THIS YEAR!"

Thanks, Theo.

Do you have the number for the earlier auction, so we can all tell eBay?

Do you have the number for the earlier auction, so we can all tell eBay?

Unfortunately not, it was something I looked at briefly, but did not follow.

Theo

I see that this auction ended with no bids ... and without eBay having taken action.

Now I kind of wish I had bid a token amount, just to see what would have happened.

One thing (beyond the obvious factors) puzzled me about this listing. I believe all the scam auctions previously reported here have specified payment by money order or some other method in which the buyer has no recourse. This one said the seller would take PayPal, which affords some level of protection to the buyer and, I think, requires the seller to have a traceable bank account. Could the scammer just be that stupid, or is paying via PayPal just as risky as a money order?

Or could the real scam be that he was using this as a means of getting hold of other people's ebay account details in order to operate more scams?

Or just to contact potential marks outside of eBay? Absolutely!

I sent an email asking how to become an "approved" bidder, and also asking two technical questions. I just received the response, well after the "auction" ended. It's a stock response, probably automated, which doesn't answer any of my questions:

Dear buyer,

as you can see i`m a serious seller with feedback!

In order to be approved please inform us if

you are a serious buyer. We also need to know if you

have negative feedback.

I apologize for asking these questions but I had a lot

of

problems with non paying bidders in the past.

All our products are available for 5 days shipping

The buy price is $2200 incl shipping (the price is not negotiable).

The payment will be made by escrow.

Regards,

I suspect that the reason there were no bids is that no bidders were ever "approved" by the seller. That guarantees that there's no winner, which means there's no payment, which means that "accepting" PayPal is perfectly safe for the "seller". He has only said that he'll accept PayPal; he hasn't demonstrated that he is actually registered with them. Note that in the above quoted email, neither PayPal nor credit cards are given as options, and I have my doubts about the "escrow" if payment were actually made.

I can certainly believe that he has had trouble getting people to pay. As for being "a serious seller with feedback", all his 5 feedbacks are for things he bought. He has no feedback as a seller. Of course, if he never actually sells anything through an auction, then he can't get any feedback. And if he doesn't get any feedback, he can't get any negative feedback.

Meanwhile, if he uses eBay only to establish contact, but perpetrates his actual fraud outside of eBay, they may be less motivated to do something about it.

I emailed the seller/scammer/thief asking if I could stop by to see the instrument. I live about 30 miles from where he *says* he's located, Waukegan, Illinois.

Of course, no response.

A pity, considering that in Illinois you probably don't need a license to carry a gun with you. :ph34r:

Ouch!! I don't know of any states where you don't need a license to carry a 'concealed' weapon, and Illinois doesn't allow it at all (they don't offer a concealed weapons license). In fact you must have a Firearm Owner's Permit to own any sort of gun.

All that being said, your point is well taken. Not to worry, a baseball bat would have sufficed.