Tune Recognition Software

Help!

A friend has just e-mailed me a snippet of music - 3 bars of standard notation - and challenged me to guess what it is. My wife has played it on the piano, and I've hacked it into Capella and played it back, but we can't recognise it.

I've heard of "tune recognisers" for the PC that can identify a piece of music from a (fragmentary) digital version. I can easily export a MIDI file from Capella, or play the snippet into the PC's mic - but what software do you use for this?

I've even got no idea whether the piece is classical or pop.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

John

Tunepal would be the thing, if you want to play part of the tune into a microphone, phone or where ever you are accessing the software from. It only searches Irish on-line collections.

ABC tunefinder

Folktune finder

Reverend's tune search

ABC notation.com tune search

Tune db

All have some search ability, mostly using phrases in ABC notation but all search more or less the same pool of online collections

Edited by Peter Laban

Help!

A friend has just e-mailed me a snippet of music - 3 bars of standard notation - and challenged me to guess what it is. My wife has played it on the piano, and I've hacked it into Capella and played it back, but we can't recognise it.

I've heard of "tune recognisers" for the PC that can identify a piece of music from a (fragmentary) digital version. I can easily export a MIDI file from Capella, or play the snippet into the PC's mic - but what software do you use for this?

I've even got no idea whether the piece is classical or pop.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

John

Can you post what you've got on the tune here? Maybe one of us will recognize it without resorting to software. We are, after all, musicians of varied backgrounds.

Can you post what you've got on the tune here? Maybe one of us will recognize it without resorting to software. We are, after all, musicians of varied backgrounds.

I'm in too. Enjoy this sort of thing (even if I do sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with the answer)

I'm in too. Enjoy this sort of thing (even if I do sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with the answer)

Funny I often wake up in the night without the answer... I'd like to see the snippet too...

http://www.musipedia.org is good as it offers a number of different ways - the 'musical contour' works well for me as you don't need to get the key right or even be accurate with the intervals, just get the ups and downs - I had the Dorset Four Hand reel stuck in my head and had no luck with Shazam etc, but this came up with it.

That's great Chris, albeit I get a tune from the-session.org which doesn't seem to contain the entire snippet...

I think google gives different results depending on your location and your history, but the first four results for this search https://www.google.com.au/#q=EAA+EAA+BAB+G were different sites naming the tune The Lilting Banshee. What was your example..?

That's great Chris, albeit I get a tune from the-session.org which doesn't seem to contain the entire snippet...

I think google gives different results depending on your location and your history, but the first four results for this search https://www.google.com.au/#q=EAA+EAA+BAB+G were different sites naming the tune The Lilting Banshee. What was your example..?

'Twas "Old Man Dillon" - and I might have to admit having omitted the spaces... Anyway, that doesn't really explain it, does it?

http://www.musipedia.org is good as it offers a number of different ways - the 'musical contour' works well for me as you don't need to get the key right or even be accurate with the intervals, just get the ups and downs - I had the Dorset Four Hand reel stuck in my head and had no luck with Shazam etc, but this came up with it.

Similar comments, if it's classical music you're looking for, in regard to themefinder.org.

'Twas "Old Man Dillon" - and I might have to admit having omitted the spaces... Anyway, that doesn't really explain it, does it?

Add the spaces and you get just what Chris described. I know the tune as "Tenpenny Bit" and that shows up somewhat further down the list.

Hello, all you puzzle freaks,

Here's the tune snippet I had to guess the title of.

Take your time, I have meanwhile solved the problem. My daughter identified it straight off the bat. I suppose that's just the payback for my investment in her musical education.

Just to keep up the suspense, I won't tell you what she said ...

B)

Cheers,

John

post-6581-0-65657700-1394458051_thumb.jpg

Add the spaces and you get just what Chris described. I know the tune as "Tenpenny Bit" and that shows up somewhat further down the list.

Getting a bit off topic but Tenpenny Bit, which starts eAA eAA is a different tune from Lilting Banshee, which starts similarly with EAA EAA

Getting a bit off topic but Tenpenny Bit, which starts eAA eAA is a different tune from Lilting Banshee, which starts similarly with EAA EAA

They both start with EAA EAA BAB G, which is all we had to work with, and since google (unlike abc) ignores case, either is a reasonable guess.