What Modern Pop Tunes Are You Arranging For The Concertina?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the surf music vein, Pipeline has an electric piano part that I could imagine trying on concertina.

Someday, I'll play "Follow You Follow Me" (Genesis) but there's a big gap between my ambitions and my capabilities.

One of the problems I see in adapting pop/rock music is the dominant use of the guitar as a rhythm instrument, so that concertina covers of guitar focused songs lack the rhythmic pulse.

I'll leave off with this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CY8i3wUOXw

which is in the "if a melodica can do it" family.

There is a recording of the English Group "Eric" playing Telstar... with various concertinas... I'll have to have a listen to confirm how many.

I think that the answer is 4, but only 3 at any one time.

Colin Thompson - English.

Ralph Jordan - Maccann duet.

Nigel Chippindale - Anglos (standard C/G and piccolo C/G).

Nigel was really pleased with his Jeffries piccolo, which he obtained whilst working for Hobgoblin. It looked tiny in his hands.

Great tune and great arrangement.

In the surf music vein, Pipeline has an electric piano part that I could imagine trying on concertina.

While pondering surf music, I tried just a bit of Link Wray's 1950 instrumental

, reasoning that since it uses a lot of open/barre chords those would sound good. However getting the texture/rhythm to imitate the strums is tricky, and I'd need to put more time into getting the melodic licks right.

I've been mucking around with the La Bionda disco tune, recording it on GarageBand. I'm debating doing it multi-track, since it's really hard to do all the fiddly high techno bits while also maintaining the underlying chords and singing properly. I do think the track has a lot of concertina potential. This might finally give me the motivation to get a decent microphone and set of headsets so I can record multi-track.

zxwlzd.gif

Edited by MatthewVanitas

There is a recording of the English Group "Eric" playing Telstar... with various concertinas... I'll have to have a listen to confirm how many.

I think that the answer is 4, but only 3 at any one time.

Colin Thompson - English.

Ralph Jordan - Maccann duet.

Nigel Chippindale - Anglos (standard C/G and piccolo C/G).

Nigel was really pleased with his Jeffries piccolo, which he obtained whilst working for Hobgoblin. It looked tiny in his hands.

Great tune and great arrangement.

Many thanks for the information Peter.... I listened to them again today and they brightened a cold,wet and dark working Monday, no end!

What's more current than the hit "get lucky" from Daft Punk... Here is a 100% concertina multi-tracked version ! I used my two duets for all the parts even drums...(bellow tapping can make a nice "beat"!..) Not special effects, just a lot of reverb, parts of melody played twice in unisson for "chorus" effect and a "disco" equalization...

(It is not really my musical taste... But my niece and nepheu wanted it... I took it like an experience but I didn't imagine how it was difficult about rythm!... :blink: )

https://soundcloud.com/thoon-1/get-lucky-8

Edited by tona

What's more current than the hit "get lucky" from Daft Punk... Here is a 100% concertina multi-tracked version ! I used my two duets for all the parts even drums...(bellow tapping can make a nice "beat"!..) Not special effects, just a lot of reverb, parts of melody played twice in unisson for "chorus" effect and a "disco" equalization...

(It is not really my musical taste... But my niece and nepheu wanted it... I took it like an experience but I didn't imagine how it was difficult about rythm!... :blink: )

https://soundcloud.com/thoon-1/get-lucky-7

Albeit this doesn't meet my musical taste either (and I am rather interested in playing "life" myself): nice work, Thomas! I particularly like the acoustically induced "chorus" effect...

"Kick out the Jams, er, brothers and sisters..." - I presume we'd have to sing that version on a family-friendly forum such as this...

Various songs I've covered on concertina over the years:

Hurt - Johnny Cash (Nine Inch Nails)

Wouldn't You Miss Me - Syd Barrett

Ocean Rain - Echo and the Bunnymen

Effervescing Elephant - Syd Barrett

The Gunner's Dream / Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Bill Is Dead - The Fall

Girlfriend in a Coma - The Smiths

Velocity Girl - Primal Scream

Sister Ray / Venus in Furs / All Tomorrow's Parties / There She Goes Again / Waiting for the Man / Heroin (in fact most of the banana album at one time or another) - The Velvet Underground - Sister Ray is particularly hilarious on anglo...

Army of Me - Bjork

Hi Stuart,

"Kick out the Jams, er, brothers and sisters..." - I presume we'd have to sing that version on a family-friendly forum such as this...

Guess you're right with that... :D

And as to VU, I've been thinking of covering "Venus in Furs" for some time now - would like to listen to a recording of your version anyway!

Besides, my working on "St. James Infirmary" (which I knew from Eric Burdon's singing initially) has led me to trying out "House of the Rising Sun", the Animals' version, i.e. with Alan Price's organ sound..., and that's fun, the (Amin-C-) D7-F7 (simply love the last chord sustained!) progression a.s.f. (edit: doesn't meet the topic quite, but played this way it's no trad either).

Still have to listen (edit: which I did in the meantime, and loved it!) to your recent Wave recording (E&tB).

Best wishes - Wolf

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Sister Ray / Venus in Furs / All Tomorrow's Parties / There She Goes Again / Waiting for the Man / Heroin (in fact most of the banana album at one time or another) - The Velvet Underground - Sister Ray is particularly hilarious on anglo...

I have a few VU tracks I mess with, particularly the viola part to "Stephanie Says", which was the first music I ever learned off of playing along with an album, back when I was a violist of 13.

I also really like the wistfulness of VU's "Pale Blue Eyes"; concertina's ability to swell/reduce the dynamics mid-note plays well for that.

Oddly enough, I haven't tried concertina on the many tracks that feature Nico on harmonium, for which concertina should be a close ringer.

Army of Me - Bjork

That's the one with the Locrian riff, yes? I'd be most curious to hear how that ones comes out. The plodding rhythm could sound slick with concertina pacing.

Army of Me - Bjork

That's the one with the Locrian riff, yes? I'd be most curious to hear how that ones comes out. The plodding rhythm could sound slick with concertina pacing.

That's the one. It's a pig to play - keeping the semiquaver bass part going in the verses is, er, fun.

... and I really dig the tanpura backing. Downloaded the free version, which doesn't do the background play - but, what a sound! Will have to get the "pro" version, fits so well with the reeds...! I always liked to use drones, did that at times when playing the reed organ...

Thank you both for another fine proposal... :)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

• 4 weeks later...