Place To Stay In London, April 17Th, 21St And 22Nd

Hey everyone,

Off-topic, but anyway... my wife and daughter will be in London (England) soon, as my daughter is participating in the Irish dancing world championships. But they're having trouble finding a place to stay for a few days before/after the competition. They're looking for a place near Hyde Park or near the British Museum (or within easy travel, by foot or tube, to the museums and stuff), for the nights of April 17th, 21st and 22nd. The other days they're at the competition hotel (Double Tree in Marble Arch) but additional non-competition days are insanely expensive, so if anyone has something to recommend for them (or know of a room available for rent), I'd really appreciate hearing about it. Otherwise they'll just have to bite the bullet...

Thanks!

Paul

Hey Paul!

My last trip to London I used the youth hostel (in my case, near St. Paul's). It was (well, relatively) cheap (about 40 sterling a night, 15 years ago) and interesting, though we had a champion snorer in my dorm one night (par for the course in a hostel dorm). You can book online.

Ken

Hey Paul have you looked at Airbnb? I heard many positive stories about this, with feedback system so that you know if the place is 100% safe. You can get something quite nice pretty much anywhere, at much cheaper than a hotel.

Hey Paul have you looked at Airbnb?

I haven't tried Airbnb myself, but it was recommended by a friend for folks travelling to New York City. He mentioned that there are other, similar services with lesser reputations.

If I lived in London I'd offer my own place, but I'm beyond the other side of the North Sea, and that's too long (and expensive) to commute. Any of our members -- or maybe their friends -- with a spare room they can offer?

If you don't mind quirky and homely, I love the Penn Club just off Russell Square, a few hundred yards from the British Museum. You don't have to be a member to book a room there, and the prices include breakfast. You can take your own food in and use the residents kitchen to store and heat it for other meals, which also keeps costs down. It is a Quaker institution, hence the name.