Tidder Concertinas, Any One Know Anything About Tidders?

d.elliott

Here are images of the serial number stampings of three Anglos and two Englishes that I would consider appear to have been made by the same maker, and describe as "Tidders" - though we could definitely do with reports/photos of more instruments with similar features.

The earliest one, baloo's 20-key Anglo labelled J. Wallis, Euston Road, London, "has several serial numbers - 372, 378 and 399 all in different places" with 378 'printed' on the righthand reedpan (though we could do with a better image of it, as well as pictures of the other numbers), below:

baloo378.jpg

Wayland's 20-key is numbered both 921 and 924:

Wayland921.jpg

Wayland924.jpg

But the one Jim saw in Helsingør Library, and photographed, has only the one number, 3116:

Jim3116.jpg

The English-system ones are stamped R and L in the right and lefthand ends, in addition to the number. This is Dave Elliott's one, number 3459, which sparked this thread:

DaveElliot3459.jpg

Whilst this is from the eBay one, number 5236:

eBay5236.jpg

To my eyes those numbers all look like they were made with the same rubber stamp(s), which (along with other features) would seem to confirm that they were made by the same people.

Stephen, I concur in the number stampings, and I have just checked the 'R' stamp on mine, and it is the close cousin, if not twin of the stamp on 5236 above.

Dave

Edited by d.elliott

Would I be right in thinking that the bellows of yours have been worked on - maybe new papers and top runs? Also, are they five (as I suspect) or six-fold?

the only work is a top run and end wrap re-bind, the papers are original, and the bellows are four fold.

Then those gold-star papers are unusual for an English maker, but four- or five-fold bellows would be normal on an older English-made English-system concertina (and not six-fold like on the Schuster and C-370).

Edited to correct typo. :unsure:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Again I agree as to the number of bellows folds, I have one or two early instruments, and each have 4 folds despite being of good quality. The papers are interesting, not only for the gold star pattern, but also the paper stock has almost a textured stripe to it.

Dave

It really doesn't help that we can't say for certain who made any of these concertinas and that, so far at least, none of them appear to bear the name of their actual maker, whilst most have no name/place of origin at all on them.

However, it's now starting to look as though some, with R and L markings and serial numbers rubber-stamped in the ends of them, were made in England by "Tidder" - whilst others, with pencilled D and B markings and batch numbers, were made in Germany with many of the same parts - especially the reeds and reedpans, and even the same brown leather valves.

Hopefully time may tell more and I'd ask anybody who has one of these instruments to please post photos (especially internal ones) of them here, so we can learn from them.

Another German brand that may be of interest/relevance is Oscar Zeuner, Leipzig.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

So what does the D & B stand for? it's not: left and right

I believe it signifies Diskant (= descant, though we'd more usually call it the "treble" end) and Baß (= bass) - which is entirely apt when describing the two ends of a German concertina, though not at all appropriate in an English-system one... :rolleyes:

• 11 months later...

post-11647-0-70954300-1426765256_thumb.jpgpost-11647-0-84703300-1426782367_thumb.jpgpost-11647-0-38382100-1426782541_thumb.jpgpost-11647-0-33654200-1426782592_thumb.jpgDoes anyone have any information about a manufacturer called Tidder?

Recognition & characteristics? Dates? anything?

thanks

Dave

i just bought one of these on eBay. it has the detailed mahogany fretted ends with the template for a 32 key anglo, but only 30 keys plus air key. five fold bellows, lachenal-type action, greenish wood for the action boards (which are badly warped) serial #5504 stamped in several places in purpleish ink. marked R and L. date hand written "aug 24, 1901". brass reeds in brass shoes. reeds are individually dove-tailed into a wood reed pan in a radial pattern similar to some wheatstone and lachenal. from what i gathered, it is a lachenal copy i.e. knockoff, albeit a good knock off. probably why none are ever signed. i will post pics as soon as it lets me. also, all the reed shoes have their respective notes etched on them. perhaps the font on the reeds could hold a clue as to who made the reeds, at least. this is my first concertina. is it common to have the notes on the reed shoes?

Edited by nicx66

this is my first concertina. is it common to have the notes on the reed shoes?

I guess the answer is "yes", as this is the case with my instrument and several others I've opened.

Best wishes for your concertina journey - Wolf

some obvious differences, however, a 28 key just came up on ebay with remarkably similar fretwork to my "tidder".

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Concertina-in-Wooden-Case-Hospiscare-/201316979332?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2edf6d5284

also, sorry if i broke any rules of etiquette regarding eBay posts.

Edited by nicx66

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

another Tidder thread i stumbled upon. with pics http://www.concertina.net/anatomy_20b_pi.html

another feature on mine is that, as doug mentioned, it has broad brass reeds rather than standard sized reeds.

it appears that this 20 button may exhibit the same? perhaps a more experienced eye could weigh in on this?

Edited by nicx66

• 4 weeks later...

this steel reeded 30 button "tidder" just fetched a decent sum on eBay. bellows look like replacements. a rose by any other name? any name? hard to make out the first number in the serial number. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anglo-concertina-c-g-/231826655071?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=J7v3ZegRZjc4KLTFL8KowdAKAjo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc also, eBay removes pictures after thirty days or so and i was curious about posting them for posterity. shouldn't be a problem, right?

Edited by nicx66