Thinking Is Hard To Do

Ed Stander

Here's another instrument that must go to pay for a kitchen - it is a 56 note extended treble Ambonya Wheatstone Aeola English concertina (s/n 35615) that was put into excellent playing condition by the Button Box some 10 years ago. it is fast, sweet, and entirely enjoyable to play - steel reeds in brass shoes. It was played professionally early in its life by a lady with longish fingernails, leaving marks about some of the keys, but this is hardly a problem when playing. I would like $2500 for this instrument, with shipping, which is really a steal considering how well it plays. What more can I say?

If you have any questions, let me know, and in the meanwhile - enjoy the pictures.

Best - Ed

I had no idea you had pm'do me! Even now I don't know where to look for that.

At the very top right corner of this window (scroll up) look for your name in white letters against a black background. To the left of your name are some icons. One is an envelope. It should have a round red badge with a white number in it. that number is how many PMs are waiting for you to read. Click the envelope to see them. You should also have received e-mail alerting you to a PM.

On Windows, mine works this way. Go to your user name in the black bacground at the top of the page. Next to your name is an arrow pointing down. Open the drop-down box, and one of the selections is "personal messager."

my envelope has numbers on it, but every time i click on it i get an advertisement to download some sort of a mail service that i don't want. i want to just click on my messages through email alerts like was done before.

There appear to be a misleading banner ad that's made to look like a "click here for your messages" button, but it's actually the advert you mention. Honestly I think it's a somewhat unfair ad to run since it confuses users. The actual real envelope icon is smaller and higher up on the page. I'll grab a screen-cap next time I see the misleading ad so I can show an example. Right now my screen shows an Edgley ad in that spot, but I frequently see the "click here for mail!" fakeout one.

(screenshot)

Not quite the same one, though same position on the screen. The one I'm thinking of shows an envelope with a red "!" at top left, the phrase "View Private Messages", and in the far right the small words "Infobox Viewer".

A brief googling shows many, many other forums for unrelated communities with members posting "hey, I'm trying to check my inbox with this big button, but it wants me to download some program!" Then other members reply to note it's a spam banner meant to trick readers into clicking it.

Not my call, but is management aware that whatever advert service they're using is running such a misrepresentative banner ad? That's really not conducive to clear communication, particularly for less internet-savvy users not wary for such spam chicanery.

Edited by MatthewVanitas

When you see a Google banner ad you don't like, mouse over the top right corner of it and you should see an 'X' button with "Don't show this ad again" under it. Click on the button and you should stop seeing that particular ad (presumably you need to have cookies enabled for this to work).

well, thank you for the intel on that one. that big envelope has been popping up when i log onto this site for, i dunno, six months or so? i actually thought it was a new ancillary feature of the cnet message system but didn't download it out of sheer vexation at being asked to assume more downloaded nonsense on the old computer.. yes, it is misleading--i think it is the small numeral that appears with the envelope, plus its resemblance to the "correct" cnet envelope up top.....glad to have that clear now, and thank you again.