What Makes Jefferies Concertinas So Valuable?

lxnx

Or is it that there are so many variables involved, it's difficult to re-create all the components that would be necessary for that sound exactly? (in a similar way to Stradivarius instruments, though to a much lesser extent! :) )

I believe that's the situation.

• 3 weeks later...

I find myself not wanting to leave this thread without pointing out a couple of things because it is likely people wanting to buy will read it and they might not perceive the fine print, which is there, ie...

What makes the Jefferies so valuable?

1. Well... they are consistently great players. I've never played one I didn't like. This means that with some possible exceptions, when you get a Jefferies, you know you are getting a potentially great instrument.

IMHO.

Note the words possible and potentially, the writer (sorry Jody, not getting at you personally!) knows not all Jeffries are great instruments and is saying so. In my limited experience about 25% have been great, 50% OK and 25% very ordinary.

You can avoid trouble if you don't buy a Jeffries sight unseen unless you understand it is a gamble. And if you are inexperienced ask someone who is not the seller to evaluate it for you. You don't have to buy this one, they are not really that rare.

And then to the OP's question. Opinion follows...

I think they are valuable because of two factors; some are extremely good, and because Irish music is extremely demanding of a concertina. 50 years ago if a person in Ireland wanted a good concertina they had the choice of a Jeffries or a Linota. Comparatively there are few Linotas so the Jeffries were it. Consequently the best players in Ireland played Jefferies. And of course if you wanted to be good you had to have one and if you wanted to appear good, not quite the same thing, you also had to have one. Many people started to learn the concertina and they wanted one just like the player they most admired. This drove the price up, and when prices were high in Ireland they went up everywhere.

In the last twenty years there have been other good instruments available, Suttners, Dippers etc, and the worn out Jeffries is increasingly sidelined. While they still own them I have trouble thinking of many great players who are fielding a Jeffries as their main instrument.

They are still valuable but it is a fragile situation. The silly prices for unseen instruments are probably gone. But there has been no wholesale sell off.

I have one myself, it is a G/D and I almost never play it. I always ponder if I should sell it. If I drag it out it only takes a few notes and I feel I never could. Somehow playing it makes me feel like a better person. It is one of the great ones. Yes, I bought it sight unseen, but I was lucky.

So, some are very good, and there was a great thirst for them in Ireland. That is my take...