Rare English Baritone......

scoopet

I've attached a photo of a baritone that I own.Its number 22800 ish , raised ends with very fine fretwork , a flat reedpan and slightly smaller in size .......7 inches.Good thick sound and quick as you'd expect....

Has anyone seen one like this before or owned one?

It was hanging out in peru before I acquired it !!!!! post-6391-0-65277300-1392030854_thumb.jpg :huh:

steve,its a wheatstone, same as a model 22 but a baritone! I love it .......except that its a bit loud!!!

I restored something similar, and the owner found it too loud for his needs so I made and fitted a pair of wooden baffles to calm it down a bit. The final result was as much an attenuation of the brassiness of sound quality, as a reduction on volume. You might consider this as an option in this instrument, it worked well.

Dave

steve,its a wheatstone, same as a model 22 but a baritone! I love it .......except that its a bit loud!!!

I restored something similar, and the owner found it too loud for his needs so I made and fitted a pair of wooden baffles to calm it down a bit. The final result was as much an attenuation of the brassiness of sound quality, as a reduction on volume. You might consider this as an option in this instrument, it worked well.

Dave

Dave:

What type and thickness of wood did you use, and do you have any photographs?

Thx. Don.

[same as a model 22 but a baritone! I love it .......except that its a bit loud!!!]

this is my dream baritone....it's also my dream TT....metal-ended, hexagonal, the loud, big-voiced "flat reed-pan" sound....cannot understand the penchant for soft, mellow concertinas and for muffling the big-voiced ones...they are a dream for band playing, dance playing, outdoor playing, group playing, etc...

Edited by ceemonster

[same as a model 22 but a baritone! I love it .......except that its a bit loud!!!]

this is my dream baritone....it's also my dream TT....metal-ended, hexagonal, the loud, big-voiced "flat reed-pan" sound....cannot understand the penchant for soft, mellow concertinas and for muffling the big-voiced ones...they are a dream for band playing, dance playing, outdoor playing, group playing, etc...

it does have a big thick voice, that I won't be baffling!!!!!......don't panic!!!

There is another one in devon.............and they should be having a play together this evening!

As an aside this raised metal ended baritone cost about £19 in the early 1900s

an aeola baritone cost £20

a 'basic' wooden ended baritone cost £10

and a pair of leather boots cost about 3 shillings..... :huh:

Dave

Dave:

What type and thickness of wood did you use, and do you have any photographs?

Thx. Don.

I used 3mm plywood, stained black stood off from the underside of the fretwork, the trick is to ensure that there is room for airflow, but the pad 'grommets' do not tap underneath the baffle. I used felt stand offs to avoid any form of rattle

Dave